Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Never thought I would say this, but in CA, the only baiting we can do is drop the deer guts and in bear country, they will be coming. These baiting hunting is just different. I have to limit myself with deer corn. I like to feed in the summer, but if you don’t have food out, the animals will just go to a property that has it.

good luck everyone

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Never thought I would say this, but in CA, the only baiting we can do is drop the deer guts and in bear country, they will be coming. These baiting hunting is just different. I have to limit myself with deer corn. I like to feed in the summer, but if you don’t have food out, the animals will just go to a property that has it.

good luck everyone
baiting for deer really isn’t the best practice for a state to have in my opinion.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I haven’t had any success so far. Hopefully this will be my year.

I’ve got two barrels with a mixture of bread & pastries. Every time I rebated i dump 20 pound sack of sugar in each barrel and 2- 30 ounce bottles of maple syrup.

This is my third year to bait. The last two years I’ve had 10 to 15 different bears, on my bait site.

Two years ago I lost my bears that were coming in consistently about a week before the season.

Last year they were in there pretty heavy but I was only able to hunt the opening day. Ended up having to go out of town for work. No luck on the opener but the neighbors in the lease next-door shot three on three different sites. I believe once they started going in and out to retrieve their bears they ran anything else out of there.

I’m hoping this is a year but so far I haven’t had one bear come through. A good sized bear but unfortunately It didn’t even eat the bait.

I put my baits out last week but after not having much action. I Through the kitchen sink at it this week. I rebated and in addition I Put some anise extract on a rag tied it to a tree. Squirt of vanilla extract all in the barrels, but some Northwoods bear products grease additive. Dumped it all over the ground and sprayed it all over every bush around the old trails going in To the site, and let off and anise extract bear bomb.

As I type this out I finally got My first bear eating on the bait View attachment 327679

View attachment 327681

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Looks like a mature bear. It’s hard to guess a weight on a single picture with nothing for a reference but just based on how thick it is I’d say you’re looking at 300# or more.

21 - 40 of 279 Posts