Arkansas Hunting banner
361 - 380 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Maybe he had ear tags that fell off? View attachment 331097
Im my opinion, no, tags didnt fall off.
#1. I believe there is a area where the fur can be a bit thin.
#2. From what I have seen on camera and in person (in my taxidermy shop) the tags are placed lower on the ear.
#3. The bears with tags I have worked on for taxidermy requires a set of side wire cutters to remove. They are a 2 piece tag, kind of bendable plastic a little bigger than a quarter with a metal stud in the middle. Once the ear is pierced the 2 pieces go on each side of the ear and snap together like a one way rivet. I do not belive the tag would just fall off. I think the ear cartilage would rip before the tag just fell off.
At least the one from Oklahoma that I have seen look like this. The Oklahoma bear biologist said they use two colors, yellow and pink and the pink tags fade to red and the red tags are usually on sows and collared bears are mostly sows.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Possibly, but not necessarily. There are several reasons for ear tags. Sometimes G&F will tag them on a den survey. I killed a bear several years ago with double ear tags. Turns out it was tagged as a cub on a den survey. They were able to tell me how old it was and how far it had moved based on the tag numbers.
That’s pretty neat.
What kind of details did you get as far as age and how far it moved?

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
why? Can you honestly give a good reason? Other than they tear up your deer feeder.
IDK...but, I'll try.

My reasoning is purely selfish. I don't think a bear contributes very much to our(Arkansas) ecological system. They may eat a bit of carrion after hibernation, but I don't see them cleaning up the highways of carrion like a buzzard. They are just as likely to kill a newborn fawn. Too lazy to work for a meal. They are opportunistic scavengers. Other than worm dirt, what do they contribute? They have a place here on Earth or God wouldn't have put them here. I guess "Kill them all." is just an expression for kill them to a ratio of 1 per every 200,000 acres.

There were many reasons our ancestors killed them...not just for oil. They were a nuisance then and the are a nuisance now, because of population growth; human and bear. We all see how the G&F has let the hogs take over many portions of the State. Native/non-native is not the issue. The issue is the ineptitude of the G&F. Turkey, quail, rabbit have all declined mostly due to predation. So, why re-establish another potential predator? And, why do it in an unnatural way? (relocating problem bears with known, learned, problematic behaviors) They are more likely to look for a trash can rather than an acorn.

Having a big one come into camp after midnight one night will make you want them dead. We have kids of all ages at camp. The "what ifs" are not fun to consider. Had one tear a camper up for a few tea spoons of honey.

I just don't like them. I am happy that some of y'all get off on hunting them. I bet it is a rush to have one come in and shoot it.

I hope they open a season down south that coincides with squack season. :whistle:

·
Registered
22,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #378 ·
IDK...but, I'll try.

My reasoning is purely selfish. I don't think a bear contributes very much to our(Arkansas) ecological system. They may eat a bit of carrion after hibernation, but I don't see them cleaning up the highways of carrion like a buzzard. They are just as likely to kill a newborn fawn. Too lazy to work for a meal. They are opportunistic scavengers. Other than worm dirt, what do they contribute? They have a place here on Earth or God wouldn't have put them here. I guess "Kill them all." is just an expression for kill them to a ratio of 1 per every 200,000 acres.

There were many reasons our ancestors killed them...not just for oil. They were a nuisance then and the are a nuisance now, because of population growth; human and bear. We all see how the G&F has let the hogs take over many portions of the State. Native/non-native is not the issue. The issue is the ineptitude of the G&F. Turkey, quail, rabbit have all declined mostly due to predation. So, why re-establish another potential predator? And, why do it in an unnatural way? (relocating problem bears with known, learned, problematic behaviors) They are more likely to look for a trash can rather than an acorn.

Having a big one come into camp after midnight one night will make you want them dead. We have kids of all ages at camp. The "what ifs" are not fun to consider. Had one tear a camper up for a few tea spoons of honey.

I just don't like them. I am happy that some of y'all get off on hunting them. I bet it is a rush to have one come in and shoot it.

I hope they open a season down south that coincides with squack season. :whistle:

well for a good counter argument ...

deer contribute nothing either in fact, they destroy crops and cause many wrecks every year - kill them all ?

our ancestors killed all the black beer, and the deer, and every other large game animals because they were starving ... that's it, no other reason much

black bears are 80-90% vegetarians

they quit everything when acorns fall - that is what they want, not trash cans or krispy kremes - ask anyone who's baited !

361 - 380 of 399 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.