Arkansas Hunting banner
341 - 360 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
FISTer - looking at your bait barrel, I am thinking plugging with logs like that might help slow down my raccoon thieves. Every any issue with bears not easily pulling those out or being happy to dig in? And can they usually get to the bottom of your barrel like that? And are you in Arkansas? (I know folks up north do this a lot with very heavy logs for those big bears.)

Thoughts anyone? This might be something I add to my list.

·
Registered
88 Posts
FISTer - looking at your bait barrel, I am thinking plugging with logs like that might help slow down my raccoon thieves. Every any issue with bears not easily pulling those out or being happy to dig in? And can they usually get to the bottom of your barrel like that? And are you in Arkansas? (I know folks up north do this a lot with very heavy logs for those big bears.)

It definitely helps keep the other critters out. The bears have never had a problem pulling the logs out. I did learn that if you don't wedge the sticks in there pretty tight, the raccoons can still get them out. They will stick their arm all the way in there and grab the back end and pull the stick out. The other great thing about it is that I know as soon as I get to the bait site if a bear has been there without checking the cameras.

The bears can still reach the bottom. They'll just stick their arm all the way in and grab a paw full of food from the bottom. Plugging the hole also allows me to fill the barrel all the way to the top without all the bait falling out. I'll fill it up to the hole, put the sticks in, then fill it the rest of the way up.

·
Registered
143 Posts

You can lay your barrel down if its a roller. Face tge hole up and put a heavy rock or block over the hole. The bears will just knock it off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
100% agree

no way that's an accurate number - people simply didn't check their bears

I finally got mine checked in yesterday that I killed last Thursday. I called into the office and the man checked it in for me. I could have just as easily not checked it in. Im assuming I will get the molar packet in mail. I have the tooth pulled.

·
Registered
22,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 ·
I finally got mine checked in yesterday that I killed last Thursday. I called into the office and the man checked it in for me. I could have just as easily not checked it in. Im assuming I will get the molar packet in mail. I have the tooth pulled.
right, how may molar packets won't be sent ?

·
Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner<br>201
2,105 Posts
100% agree

no way that's an accurate number - people simply didn't check their bears
Honestly I think it’s probably pretty close
The majority of hunters I’m linked directly with including myself were basically hunting dead baits before season started
I agree there is some but for the most part I bet not many have been taken
It’s been a dead year

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
I wonder how many people get their gardens and flower beds torn up by whitetails and want to kill them all out ? always a balance in things, right ?
The G&F balanced that out with an urban hunt.

It's time to kill some bears down south. The wise G&F decided south Arkansas was the best place to transplant their nuisance bears that they catch in central Ark. metro areas. Those bears have a learned behavior that equates residential areas/home places, however rural, to food. We get pictures of bears with two and three tags in it's ears.

Kill them all. I have been tickled pink that the check system was down. I hope the population was decimated.

·
Premium Member
23,198 Posts

It's time to kill some bears down south. The wise G&F decided south Arkansas was the best place to transplant their nuisance bears that they catch in central Ark. metro areas. Those bears have a learned behavior that equates residential areas/home places, however rural, to food. We get pictures of bears with two and three tags in it's ears.

Kill them all. I have been tickled pink that the check system was down. I hope the population was decimated.
They all around us. We don’t have them yet. Hopefully someone SSS before they make it to our lease.

·
Registered
143 Posts

No offense but that seems like a hard stance from a conservation point of view. Its unfortunate bears tore up your deer feeder or got into someones trash but, "kill them all"?

We must keep in mind bears were likely here long before a single house was built in Arkansas. We are in their space not the other way around. Its all about balance, thats why there is a highly monitored bear season, to keep the bears from overpopulating and from under-populating. I for one am very glad for the conservation success story concerning bears in Arkansas and Oklahoma. Not only bears but deer as well.

·
Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner<br>201
2,105 Posts

[/QUOTE
No offense to you either, Sir.

I don't want them conserved. I want them dead.
why? Can you honestly give a good reason? Other than they tear up your deer feeder.

341 - 360 of 399 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.