Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its about time. I have maybe 350 pounds of donuts, and this year I'm not going to put bait out until Sept 9-10th time frame. Its a lot of work, and I do think bears get a bit bored with the foods. I'll put out 4 barrels

Ya'll ready? How many barrels? What bait? Starting now or waiting or ?

I'd love to get this one back in

·
Premium Member
27,836 Posts
I am not hunting this year, but gonna help my SIL. We are probably setting up this weekend. Two or three barrels at each site, to try to limit frequency of rebaiting. Going to bait three sites. A little pre bait scouting has shown that hogs have moved into the area. I would guess they will get on a bait? Will they stay if a bear moves in? Never baited for bear before with hogs in area.

we are baiting with corn, dog food, honey, and syrup. I, too, agree that bears get bored with baits. But this isnt my bait line;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Next week. Just not sure which day yet (either Monday 8/30 or Friday 9/3). Two barrels at one site - a regular barrel and a shaker barrel. I will go and check/refill every Wednesday and Saturday from then on. Worked last year.

Dog food and sweet feed in barrel (and some candy corn thrown in). Dog food and all-grain (wetter sweet feed) in regular barrel. With syrup and kool-aid thrown on top. Will mix in corn with both too. I use some scents in oil also.

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next week. Just not sure which day yet (either Monday 8/30 or Friday 9/3). Two barrels at one site - a regular barrel and a shaker barrel. I will go and check/refill every Wednesday and Saturday from then on. Worked last year.

Dog food and sweet feed in barrel (and some candy corn thrown in). Dog food and all-grain (wetter sweet feed) in regular barrel. With syrup and kool-aid thrown on top. Will mix in corn with both too. I use some scents in oil also.
tell me about "sweet feed" ??? like cattle 50# sacks of sweet grain or ??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes - the bears up in Searcy county break into the barns to eat it. Either 7% or 11% protein depending on the kind. Comes in pellet form or all-grain. All-grain looks wetter and looks like oats and stuff in it. (They will even sprout when spilled on the ground.) Both smell of molasses - which helps with bears. :) Get at feed store. $10 for 50 pound bags.

·
Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner<br>201
2,087 Posts
I’m putting baits out Monday
Just picked up two 55 gal drums of pop tarts, 55 gallon drum of cookies, nuts, m&m, popcorn and marshmallows, 400lb tote of cream filled cookies, several bags of plain Jane corn based glory food and corn, bucket of peanut butter, two buckets of cherry purée and a case of butterscotch. Going to pop a few barrels of popcorn as well
Hoping for a good season with low acorn density

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,836 Posts
Yes - the bears up in Searcy county break into the barns to eat it. Either 7% or 11% protein depending on the kind. Comes in pellet form or all-grain. All-grain looks wetter and looks like oats and stuff in it. (They will even sprout when spilled on the ground.) Both smell of molasses - which helps with bears. :) Get at feed store. $10 for 50 pound bags.
it is interesting to see what works for different people. We put sweet feed in some of our barrels last year and had to dig it out because they wouldnt touch it. That stuff smells so good, I have thought about eating it.

·
Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner<br>201
2,087 Posts
After getting winded by my big shooters that scent check the bait every time they come……I’m trying the enclosed box stand thing. I siliconed all the joints so hopefully this will help get the giants in range. Acorns everywhere on the ground falling green in ozarks. View attachment 326563
That’s freaking sweet

·
Premium Member
27,836 Posts
We have hogs visiting one of our baits that has always had multiple bears in the past, but no bears yet this year. Will bears tend to stay away from a bait if hogs are around it?

1 - 20 of 177 Posts