2020 Black Bear thread - c'mon in, lets talk, lets show some photos ....

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by stealthycat, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Dermott

Dermott Well-Known Member

I have an old hone town friend that has a cabin & land near Ozark and, like you, bears are coming daily to bait — he has trail cameras — then almost exactly when season opens acorns rain down and bears have thousands of acres of acorns which they prefer to corn. Occasionally acorns drop later & we’ll have bears but if this year I just had a surgery & won’t be there...still hope old friend gets one! :clap:

2. Dermott

(Home town...)

3. spur

spur Well-Known Member

nwar
    I decided a couple of years ago that I would wait to hunt them until I retire or they move the season to an earlier date or there is a real late freeze and no acorns. Good luck to everyone that puts in the time and effort.

QuailRidge, brushcreek and Dermott like this.
  4. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

tick tock

by 3 pm tomorrow I'll have checked my cameras/barrels and have a good Sat/Sun plan

I know now why the bears left the one barrel - a guy put a feeder up down the bill filled with corn and they torn it down and fed on corn for a few days.

so hopefully .... I'll have bears on one of the 5 barrels with consistency

tick tock

brushcreek likes this.
  5. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

This is what a day of refilling barrels requires

C7779F8B-2504-4492-833A-7FD069ECC6AD.jpeg

Dermott, jhatch, brushcreek and 2 others like this.
  6. stealthycat

I should take the pictures of 1000# of donuts .....lol

7. Wiles

Wiles Well-Known Member

IMG_3267.jpg

I will be filling them up with the good stuff tomorrow afternoon, deer hunting on the other side of the place Saturday morning and then hunting Saturday evening through Monday. Hoping this keeps them around a few more days.

Dermott likes this.
  8. QuailRidge

QuailRidge Well-Known Member

Filled the baits today. Two baits empty and they broke one barrel loose and rolled it down the hill.

How many here knew that bears eat American Beautyberry? This is the first time I’ve found it in scat. IMG_1871.jpg

Dermott likes this.
  9. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

i see a lot of bear scat around my baits with beauty berry

woodsman84, Dermott and QuailRidge like this.
  10. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

In my regular spots the deer usually get it all before the bears get to it, but I have seen in it the piles before. That and poke berries make things very colorful.

Dermott and QuailRidge like this.
  11. dmac1175

dmac1175 Well-Known Member

Happy hunting to all my neighbors to the east. Hope you all get a bear. Be safe.
    6 more long days to wait for okie bears for me.

QuailRidge likes this.
  12. Steve Paul

Steve Paul New Member

Conway--I work for AGFC and would like to follow up with what might have happened to this young bear. If I pass on my contact information would you provide me with some more information as to location and if there bear's carcass is still there? Thanks.

13. cmf88

cmf88 Well-Known Member

14. Remington

Remington Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ravenden
    That bait site is fixing to go ...... zzzzzzz

15. stealthycat

ok 5 barrels

1 barrel hammered but dead batteries and no video's .. assume still 1 smallish bear
    2 barrel not even touched (the newest I put out)
    3 big boy is gone, sow and sub there hammering it
    4 it appears the black and the cinnamon bear from bait 5 is now coming to bait 4? not all day every day but enough I'm hopeful
    5 .... the ones with the most bears/hope ....

barrel 5 ... my buddy talked to a landowner that had a guy saying he had the land leased I was hunting. I'd gained permission this summer to hunt it. He had said he had it leased, someone had a bear barrel on it and the bears were tearing his newly put corn feeder up.

a few phones calls later and yes, the landowner had given this guy permission but wasn't leased and when I got to barrel 5 ... my camera was stolen. I was mad. So I said huh .. lets walk down the hill to where that feeder should be and guess what the thief did ? he put MY camera on his feeder. He deleted the card, but I guess he didn't see the name written low on the camera. SOB

I got my camera, left his feeder alone, will be telling the landowner and his character will be known around Norfork. Hey Bill, if you're reading this - you're an a-hole !

Anyway, no bears there, too much human activity now. 5 is dead now

tomorrow my buddy is hunting 4, it has the most action .. I'm still hunting into 1 and seeing what's up ... just an easy walk about the woods I suppose.

fat hog and Dermott like this.
  16. Dermott

Too bad the landowner didn’t tell you he had allowed the other guy. Also, crazy he stole your game camera—a sheriff’s deputy or warden needs to see the evidence on the game camera...

brushcreek and Remington like this.
  17. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

Conway
    Good luck to everyone. About to get loaded up. Hope to see some bear pics on here at dark. Be safe.

18. gravedigger30

gravedigger30 Well-Known Member

Sister in law shot one a good one about an hour ago

jhatch, cmf88, QuailRidge and 5 others like this.
  19. QuailRidge

QuailRidge Well-Known Member

I’ve been up since 10:30. A bear bait feels like the most desolate place on earth when there aren’t any bears on it.

fat hog, Remington and jhatch like this.
  20. jhatch

jhatch Member<br>2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner<br>201

We are fixing to head to the blind
    Should be in the shooter seat about 2:30

Remington and QuailRidge like this.