2011 Gobbler Only

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by sleepy, Dec 24, 2010.

1. sleepy

sleepy Well-Known Member

This spring we can shoot gobblers only. What will the rule be. Y'all think we will go by the beard or the fan.

2. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

I would think the fan.

3. Definitely fan.

Jakes can have decent beards and still be jakes.

The question, is how lenient Mr. Green Jeans is on hunters this year who mistakenly shoot a jake thinking it was a tom since this is a new rule.

4. Hooked Spurs

Hooked Spurs Well-Known Member

I think it will be based on beard length. Probably a 6" minimum.

5. Hooked Spurs

I doubt Mr. GJ will be very lenient. Some mature gobblers with short beards will probably die of old age.

6. possum

Hooked Spurs, not looking for and argument but wouldn't the fan be an easier identifier? Which if it is you're probably right about the beard, they don't have a tendency to make things easy.

7. I also think it'll be beard length.. They don't always show their fan but the beard is always visible..

8. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

One of the gobs I got last year had a 1/2" nub for a beard, but sported 1" rounded off spurs and a full fan. He was heavy too. I never saw his beard, but knew he was a mature gobbler. Not sure how next year's rule would affect my decision to shoot this same gobbler. If the rule says, visible beard over 6" long, then I'd have made a mistake, right?

9. Tony Harris

Tony Harris Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi Staff Member

Some of them birds never fan out. Be hard to tell. If they jerk folks around too much this new rule will cause lots of dead birds to stay in the woods.

10. Juice, get'em in close and check for cateracts..:up:

11. Hooked Spurs

While the the fan is a better indicator of maturity, it is usually harder to see and determine. Most of time you can see the beard, but unless they strut it is hard to tell. MS uses beard length

12. Hooked Spurs

While the the fan is a better indicator of maturity, it is usually harder to see and determine. Most of time you can see the beard, but unless they strut it is hard to tell. MS uses beard length. I would be shocked if the fan is the gauge.

13. possum

:up: I was just thinking the length thing would be more difficult to judge, but if MS has done it with success it might be the way to go.

14. crackshot82

crackshot82 Moderator<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner<br>2007 Pho Staff Member

Would it be better to have full fan and/or 6in beard?

15. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

I would imagine it will be a 6" beard limit.

Coonutz to answer your question the easist way to tell is by beard length and fan. Anytime a turkey has atleast a 6" beard or has a full fan he would be considered a 2 yr old bird or better. Most of time you can easily identify jakes becase their beard sticks straight out rather than lay down. They also have middle tail feathers that stick up higher than the rest of their tail feathers. If you have seen many turkeys it also easily to tell the difference by the size of the head and waddles.

The best way to judge the age of a turkey is by the spurs however that is not a realistic way to judge when hunting being most of the time you will never see the spurs on a turkey before you kill it.

16. knighten

knighten Well-Known Member

What would you say this fan is jake or adult?http://[​IMG]

17. Hooked Spurs

I would say a Jake. The middle feathers developed later than the others? Probably much less common than developing before the outside feathers.

18. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

I was going to say adult. I know its not the rule but evry jake I have ever seen the middle feather have been longer not shorter. I think its more like were something pulled the feathers out and it is a regrowth or just a freak thing. JMO though.

19. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

It will be beard length. Im so glad we are finally going with a no jake rule. It's about 10 years too late................which makes it right on time for the AGFC.

20. sleepy

sleepy Well-Known Member

If it will be beard length then will they allow bearded hens to be taken. Rule now seems to focus on beard length so They ok hens with beards because of gobblers might not strut in...