2011 Elk Hunt on the Horizon

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Hobbshunter, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    Step 1 is complete! I got permission from the wife. :twothumbs

It was kinda funny. I brought it up... "You know your dad's asking if I want to put in for Wyoming this year..."
    She said, "Well, since you'll be gone for 2 weeks, can I see if my mom and sisters want to go to FL or something while you're gone?" I said OK (but dang, I probably just doubled the expense of the trip there).
    Then she said, "But we still need to take a family vacation sometime too." I said I was planning on that anyway, probably just staying here and hanging out at the lake.
    Then she said, "And you wont be able to take a big turkey hunting trip this spring." :smack: She's getting wise to my tactics! I told her I wouldnt take any big trips, but I'm still gonna take a few days off and hunt MO and AR. I should be OK there.

We'll put in for WY. If we dont get it, we'll put in for MT. If not that, it'll be OTC in CO.

Now for Step 2: getting vacation time cleared with my boss (the one at work).

2. elwaller

elwaller Select Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2015

Good luck on the draw. I've been saving up for my once of a lifetime hunt in Montana and was going the guaranteed outfitter license hunt, but things have changed in MT since the last election, and now will put in for the draw for early backcountry wilderness hunt in Sept If that falls thru, will do the 2nd rifle season OTC in western CO..

3. Hobbshunter

NWA
    Thanks. Lately they've been having great luck on the draw. I believe my FIL has drawn WY general elk tags for 3 yrs in a row now, the last 2 without pref pts. Not near as many hunters have been putting in.

Good luck to you too!

4. MO HUNTER

MO HUNTER Well-Known Member

NWA
    MT doesnt have any more elk!! Plus we dont like out of state hunters up here, that is why we passed the laws we now have in place...:whistle: I will be right there with ya elk hunting this coming year. But truth be told, unless you are going with a guide you probably wont see too much in the field. Lots of my local guys had a rough year.... Elk numbers down, hunter numbers up etc. you know the usual game. What was concerning was the fact that these guys have hunted in these places for years and didnt get a thing. Out of five that are religious hunters, 2 got elk...COWS. Do some calling before you come up here and pin an area down, that way you wont be disappointed. Plus I guess it really matters where you plan to go, but these guys saw more in the late season than any other time.....

Good luck, if you get up this way give me a shout!!:up:

5. Hobbshunter

NWA
    What's the new law in MT? They change the way they do outfitter tags or something?

I've never hunted there. My FIL and his buddy go elk hunting every year. WY is their first choice. The years immediately before WY went to a pref pt system, they had some bad luck and never drew. They hunted MT a couple of those years. 1 year they had great luck and each got a bull and a buck. The next time they had no luck. A big burn changed the dynamic of their area, then a big storm blew in and ran them off. Like 80 mph winds! I think that was 2007.

I hope things turn around for you and your buddies. They have a way of doing just that.

6. MO HUNTER

MO HUNTER Well-Known Member

NWA
    I think they made it to were outfitters can only book hunts but cant get tags for hunters. Years past I believe they were given X number of tags which reduced the amount that out of staters could get. I will look into it and get back to ya. I have only lived up here for 4 months

7. arelk

arelk Well-Known Member

I heard the same as Mo Hunter. The Outfitters are getting fewer tags and there will be more for non residents to draw but they jacked up the non res prices. I think it was something like $900 for the deer/elk combo lic.

8. elwaller

elwaller Select Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2015

Up to last year, outfitters had 5500 non resident tags that they could guarantee for non residents that wanted to use the services of a guide and giving the guides a sort of guarantee of some income for the next years hunt without waiting to see if if prospective clieents would draw first before they could offer any guide services.
    The state pass a voter iniative doing away with the guarantee license for outfitters and added them to the total of non resident tags available in the past election, so now ALL out of state hunters will have to put in for the draw.

9. Hobbshunter

NWA
    :eek: OUCH!

I hope it doesnt hurt the outfitters too much, but I'll bet that once they get used to the new system, it wont hurt them too bad.

10. eatmorelk

eatmorelk Well-Known Member

Mt elk

You might want to look somewhere besides Mt..I live in Harlo and hunt the Belts and it was a tough year.I'm thinking of Wyoming for next year.

11. Hobbshunter

NWA
    Step 2 Complete

Got vacation approved at work.

Now for Step 3: Get my sorry butt in shape. Cut firewood last weekend, so I'm off to a fair start. Felt good to do something after sitting in the house with all this holiday BS that's been going on for the past month.

12. pirogue

pirogue Well-Known Member

Hobbs, I like your step 3 better than some guys. Their step 3 is draw, then get in shape. I hope the WY draw makes it back to back to back for me this year. Good Luck

13. Hobbshunter

NWA
    I'm almost always starting step 3 this time of year anyway. My weight's got nowhere to go but down after Christmas! Turkey season's right around the corner.

I got one of those Kelty kid carrier backpacks for Christmas too, so that should help. My sons 5months old right now and weighs 20lbs. That'll make those hills a little steeper!

Good luck to you too!

14. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

11 days of 2011, 11 day's running, 11 days' better eating habits

I have elk plans in 2011 myself

15. Vern Humphrey

Vern Humphrey Well-Known Member

Is anyone here planning on putting in for Arkansas tags?

16. Hobbshunter

NWA
    That's a given, but I do not plan on drawing. That would be like winning the lottery.

17. Vern Humphrey

Yeah, isn't it?

Why doesn't Arkansas have a preference point system like many western states -- each time you put in and don't draw a tag, you get points and eventually you have enought to get a tag.

18. Hobbshunter

NWA
    I think that the odds are so slim that wouldnt be much sense in it, but it might be worth it.

Oklahoma has a similar elk hunt (actually I think they have more), and their tags are once-in-a-lifetime.

19. Vern Humphrey

That would be acceptable -- let everyone have a fair chance for the few tags they allocate.

20. Hobbshunter

NWA
    WY draw results are listed as being available 2/28, but they're usually out a little earlier. I'm starting to get anxious!