Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LITTLE ROCK - Permit applications will be available for zone and WMA doe quota, youth, archery, modern gun and muzzleloader deer hunts on several AGFC wildlife management areas and deer zones throughout the state.
Applications may be picked up at Arkansas Game and Fish Commission offices, license dealers around the state or by applying online at www.agfc.com beginning June 1. The deadline for applications is July 1.
There are a few changes for the 2008-09 season:
*Dagmar WMA is now Sheffield Nelson Dagmar WMA. Madison County WMA is now McIlroy Madison County WMA. Some application codes have changed because
of these name changes.
*The number of permits for Winona WMA has increased to 200.
*A permit youth hunt has been added for Prairie Bayou WMA.
*A second hunt has been added to the Holland Bottoms WMA muzzleloader season with 100 permits available per hunt.
*The bag limits for Hope Upland WMA and Trusten Holder WMA have changed.
*The number of available Doe Quota Permits has been increased in zones 3, 6, 7 and 8.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm glad to see they increased the numbers in zone 3 maybe I'll get lucky and get one this year!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
haha!! wasnt there a post about more does being took?? I am really glad that Independence County will get this benefit :) 3,6 and 8 zones I believe will cover the entire county. Awesome.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I hope to get another zone 8 permit this year. I drew one last year, but was unable to hunt due to surgery.

·
Premium Member
10,981 Posts
I was trying to get a permit for my son, who is 12. It kept asking me for his hunter edu. id # and wouldn't let me complete the application without it. Youth hunters don't have to have the hunter edu card until age 16. Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
10,981 Posts
email to the g&f

Here's the email I sent to the G&F:

I am trying to apply for deer permits for my son, who is 12. The online
form is asking for his hunter education id #, which he doesn't have yet.
Per your regulations, hunters under 16 years of age are not required to
have a hunters edu. id. How can I get past this?

Here is the reply I received:

Subject: FW: AGFC.com Contact Form: Hunting
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:18:34 -0500
To: [email protected]

In order to apply and receive a permit, all hunters under 16 must have
successfully completed the hunter education class.

Shane Craig
Permit Hunt Administrator
(501) 223-6440
[email protected]

Here is my response back:

That's discouraging to hear. We as sportsmen have but one way to keep hunting in our future and by restricting the kids, aka the future of our sport, we are doing a terrible job as stewards of hunting. My boy will be terribly disappointed to hear he can not receive his permits this year, like he has in the years past. Why was this rule set into place? In my honest opinion, it is a very bad decision. We need to do everything we can to make it enticing for our youth to hunt. I fear for the future of our sport.

·
Premium Member
10,981 Posts
And before anyone suggests that the way around it would be for a hunter's education class, I know he will eventually need to take it. I just wish I had known this before the permit application date had arrived.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts