Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I’d say my average shot is 25 yards on a turkey. When we were testing handload TSS 6-7 years ago we lasered 60 yards to look at density. 60 yards is a long dang ways.....at that point I realized I hadn’t shot hardly any turkeys at that distance. That said, I want my gun to have the best pattern possible. Just like I want my bow and gun to have the smallest groups possible. To make up for my mistakes

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
I would expect no less for you to pick apart anything I say. But, since you brought it up....
No, I don’t carry a rangefinder and I don’t have a distinct line at 40. I stated I don’t have a desire to shoot past that. Simple statement. I don’t set up a gun to kill turkeys at 70 or 80. If you do, then good for you. Just not what I “desire” to do while turkey hunting. Have I killed some past 40? Yes, but not as enjoyable as shooting one at 10-15-20-25, etc. steps, for me personally. Just like sneaking up on one is not as enjoyable for me personally as calling one in. I’ve done that too. Dead turkey just the same, but not what I enjoy about turkey hunting.
I don’t know that I’ve replied to anything you’ve said in a few years. Those types of post just seem elitist and disingenuous to me so I wanted to ask for clarification. No harm meant, good luck this year!

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
I’d say my average shot is 25 yards on a turkey. When we were testing handload TSS 6-7 years ago we lasered 60 yards to look at density. 60 yards is a long dang ways.....at that point I realized I hadn’t shot hardly any turkeys at that distance. That said, I want my gun to have the best pattern possible. Just like I want my bow and gun to have the smallest groups possible. To make up for my mistakes
Same here, I find turkey are harder to judge distance on for me than deer. I’ve stepped a few of them off that I wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on if I had known they were as far as they were. I like em in that 25-30 yard range but I like to have a setup that bails me out when I make a mistake.

·
Registered
734 Posts
IMG_1507.jpg

40 yards with a .570 Jellyhead Maximum.
My Affinity 20 is mostly a backup but my wife shoots the compact version with the same choke all the time.
We used the same chokes with the old Federal HW 7’s and after patterning with 9’s didn’t see the need to change.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
View attachment 300973
40 yards with a .570 Jellyhead Maximum.
My Affinity 20 is mostly a backup but my wife shoots the compact version with the same choke all the time.
We used the same chokes with the old Federal HW 7’s and after patterning with 9’s didn’t see the need to change.
Are yall shooting bead or reflex/dot ? I've noticed what little I've shot this new 1 that it seems to shoot high. I plan on changing the shims but even closer shots leveled up with a bipod it shot high. Notice in the pic that shot looked much like mine high .

·
Registered
734 Posts
Are yall shooting bead or reflex/dot ? I've noticed what little I've shot this new 1 that it seems to shoot high. I plan on changing the shims but even closer shots leveled up with a bipod it shot high. Notice in the pic that shot looked much like mine high .
We both shoot a bead still and actually like that its a touch high. We just always aim where the feathers meet the neck and its lights out!

·
Registered
26,700 Posts
Mine shoots a little high as well. It’ll probably cost me one day but it’s been just fine so far.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts