Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here have 1 of these and have any suggestions on what choke for #9 tss combo works well?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Contact Shane Carlson at Carlson’s and see what he would recommend. He’s a wealth of information and will usually return all emails pretty promptly.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea from what I've seen online Carlson and Indian creek is the 1s I've noticed folks comment on the most.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have a jebbs .555 and a carlsons longbeard .562 for ours. Either one works well for us. Depends on what you want in your pattern. The jebbs has a more uniform pattern and isn’t overtly tight. I wouldn’t be scared with either choke out of it. I shoot no 7s out of the jebbs and it’s deadly.....Goodluck. Don’t be afraid to try several chokes. Idk where you’re located but I have a couple you can try if you’re close

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have a jebbs .555 and a carlsons longbeard .562 for ours. Either one works well for us. Depends on what you want in your pattern. The jebbs has a more uniform pattern and isn’t overtly tight. I wouldn’t be scared with either choke out of it. I shoot no 7s out of the jebbs and it’s deadly.....Goodluck. Don’t be afraid to try several chokes. Idk where you’re located but I have a couple you can try if you’re close
Sorry my carlsons is a .568

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. Plan on getting 2 chokes 1 little less tight for kids and the other tighter when I'm hunting with it. I'm located in Sheridan.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Plan on getting 2 chokes 1 little less tight for kids and the other tighter when I'm hunting with it. I'm located in Sheridan.
One thing I’ve noticed about the jebbs is even if their constriction is tighter, the pattern isn’t to tight. Goodluck this spring!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here is my results on a Franchi compact I bought and patterned with 5 different TSS loads through a Indian Creek .555 and Carlson .565
IMG_1613529002.011714.jpg

I was tweaking my FastFire through the process is why you see the POI moving around also. Hope this may save you some money. Either choke with the Apex GT-20’s is what I decided on.

·
Registered
26,693 Posts
I have a new Franchi 20 gauge that I haven’t shot yet. This is the choke tube I got for it. I didn’t want a super tight choke. I know all guns are different, but glad to hear that one works well for you.
I don’t want a super tight one either. I want a gun that throws a killing pattern at 40, but not so tight at 20 that you’ve gotta be perfect. Hope it works out good for you, post your results! What shells are you gonna shoot?

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
My affinity 20ga puts 350+ in a 10” circle at 40 yards w/.575. Thats with 1 5/8 9’s that we roll. So it’s pretty dang tight.
The most important thing to do is deep clean the barrel (synthetic brush/ bore cleaner/patches etc) Not just bore snake. You’ll lose a ton of your pattern density if you don’t keep it mirror clean. Our loads come out as dirty as a muzzleloader after shooting once

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seen several good patterns. The loads to shoot are the problem lol. Tss is dang near non existent right now. Found #7s but not much. #9s are nowhere to be found

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I don’t want a super tight one either. I want a gun that throws a killing pattern at 40, but not so tight at 20 that you’ve gotta be perfect. Hope it works out good for you, post your results! What shells are you gonna shoot?
Same here. I can have no desire to shoot one past 40, just want the best pattern. I have Hevi Mag Blends, Longbeard #6, and TSS #9 I’m going to try.

·
Premium Member
23,916 Posts
Federal 3rd Degree...Nuff Said..Good pattern close..Good pattern at 50...
Love it..Stocked up the rest of my Turkey hunting life...

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
Same here. I can have no desire to shoot one past 40, just want the best pattern. I have Hevi Mag Blends, Longbeard #6, and TSS #9 I’m going to try.
So do you carry a rangefinder and pass shots at 41 or 42 yards? Killing one at 40 yards but not 5 feet further seems like an arbitrary distinction.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
So do you carry a rangefinder and pass shots at 41 or 42 yards? Killing one at 40 yards but not 5 feet further seems like an arbitrary distinction.
I would expect no less for you to pick apart anything I say. But, since you brought it up....
No, I don’t carry a rangefinder and I don’t have a distinct line at 40. I stated I don’t have a desire to shoot past that. Simple statement. I don’t set up a gun to kill turkeys at 70 or 80. If you do, then good for you. Just not what I “desire” to do while turkey hunting. Have I killed some past 40? Yes, but not as enjoyable as shooting one at 10-15-20-25, etc. steps, for me personally. Just like sneaking up on one is not as enjoyable for me personally as calling one in. I’ve done that too. Dead turkey just the same, but not what I enjoy about turkey hunting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts