Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is a 20 ga with a polly choke ok to use ? i found a cheap bolt action. i do not own any shotgun. the one i was looking at had a factory rear non adjustable sight. i do not remember what size shells it used it's a 1950 or so year. pretty good shape good bore.

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
I've got a Winchester Ranger pump 20 ga........I can't remember the model number. It's got a modified barrel. With 3" Hevi Shot turkey loads, it patterns really good. I wouldn't be afraid to turkey hunt with it......And it's A LOT lighter than my 870 super mag.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's good news. can't get back to where it's for sale till wed or thursday i don't think there going to line up out side of his door to buy it. he had a think a old remington single shot 12 ga. the lever to break open the action was behind the trigger never seen one like that before.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Will work fine, but I would make sure to pattern the gun first and know your limitations. I killed my first several turkeys with a 20 gauge, but I was limited to 30 yards for my particular set up.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I killed my first turkey with a Remington 870 express youth model, had a full choke and shot 3in #6....i killed him at about 40 yards but it was down a hill so that helped, but i shot a ton of squirrels with it from a long ways away and knocked them out of trees so 20 guages are good just know your limit on them!!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Don't give in to all the hype about you "Need" a 3 1/2 12. A 20 will hang thier long spurred butt on a limb without a doubt. I know one guy in South Carolina that has killed close to a hundred toms with a 20 and another in Ga. that is closing in on that number. My wife has one and I carry it when she is not hunting for the lighter weight.

Here are a few that I could find in short order that fell to the lil 20. Old Hillbilly could attest to the fellow from S.C. He has seen few of the toms lay low by John's Modle 500 20.

Boom

·
Registered
202 Posts
Gun

Yes it will I shoot a 12ga 3 1/2 in but I don't know why I got a 20ga franchi that will and has has done the job just fine. Most guys "like me " just over do it with hunting guns they are just a hobby to me and one that I don't loose money at also.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Nah, he just hangs out in the yard hoping I will bring him something to sniff at. He will tree a limb rat but he is just a pet.

C.C. you be carefull over there in the Sand Box. Come home safe.

God Bless:flag:

Boom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.