Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
41,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry to hear about your surgery but Im glad youre doing OK now.

I think the simplicity and the challenge is what Im liking the most right now. I grab the bow, my glove, and a handful of arrows and Im out the door.

I cant see ever getting rid of the compound because hunting with it is still a challenge to me but I sure like shooting a recurve too.

·
Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner
2,655 Posts
What about putting more stress on the lower limbs? Do yall think there's anything to that?
IF...IF the bow was made with a standard tiller shooting 3 under will shift the stress towards the bottom limb...BUT IMHO, very few shooters can or will be able to tell the difference.

If the bow is a takedown you can shim it to reverse the tiller BUT if not AND in either case you should be able to tune the bow to shoot well with 3 under release.

I'd suggest reading the following link and taking the time to tune your bow to yourself and your arrows...
http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html

BTW, the feller who came up with this tuning process is Retired USN Master Chief Petty Officer OL Adcock...he is a multi-world champion flight shooter.

·
Administrator
41,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The guy at the bow shop didnt tell me anything at all about tuning, string stretch, or anything else. :frown:

Id like to get with one or two of you sometime if thats OK with yall and shoot a little and maybe pick your brains a little bit. :wink:

·
Registered
973 Posts
I
Wow, 60 years is a long time.

So far Im sticking with 3 under. It just seems a little bit easier to aim to me but 2 under does give me a little better hold of the arrow.

When I lost my tab I didn't want to drive all the way to Archers Advantage to get another one so I ordered one off the internet but stopped in Academy and got a glove made by Tarantula (its cheap and the only one they had) to get me by for a few days. Now I'm starting to think I like the glove better because for one thing I can wrap it around the limbs after I shoot and its there next time.
I have an old pair of my kids boots with leather that works pretty good for making an easy 3 under tab. I use it and have enough boots left to cut 30 years worth of tabs.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You said it is a little bit easier to air with 3 under. In a sense I do not aim. It is an eye hand coordination thing. I concentrate on the spot. Do not look at the bow or arrow. So far that has worked for me. Shooting this way requires a lot of practice. You practice until you shoot like this without thinking about it. Some folks gap shoot, some have sight pins. Whatever works for you.

I shot like that forever, and I was always frustrated about when I missed. If I missed, I could not for the life of me tell you why. Same as when I was hitting. I could not explain it. Now, I make sure I know (estimate) ranges, and I know my point on distance. My gaps are not focused on, but they are there in my secondary vision. Form gets me consistent, arrow spine puts the arrow in line left and right, and my gaps get the arrow in the bull. It is as simple as that.

I teach kids at the elementary school how to shoot this way for their archery program with that little compound looking thing... this works with any equipment. It is the same way tim wells shoots on tv.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have been shooting recurve/longbow off and on since I was twelve (1960), Shot them things with wheels for a while, always fingers, most always with calf hair glove. For many years, 2 under, in the 80's I changed to 3 under, groups got better so I have been shooting that way since. I think it comes back to 'what works for ya'. I could never get used to a release but eventually figured out how to use sights on them wheelie things. When in N. Louisiana I used to shoot in the yearly Oil Patch festival. Supposed to be hunting bows only. We had a guy, last name Smith, always won, but just enough to not make us feel bad, and he always walked the line during practice and coached. We discussed my finger shooting (3 under) on a short bow and against most using releases. Took 3rd the one year, 4th another. What works for ya is good, but you do need consistent form and practice and having a bow with the right draw weight.

·
Registered
973 Posts
What about putting more stress on the lower limbs? Do yall think there's anything to that?
it really depends, I think, on the way the bow was set up. they are, or can be, "tillered" to shoot either way. most, though, can be tuned, either by the arrow, or the knocking point, to shoot however. this is evident by the large group of people out there that successfully shoot a "fixed crawl." fixed crawl is where they consistently grip the string at a "fixed" point below the knocking point, with all three fingers engaging the string. this is an exaggeration of the "three under", since it is still three under, but it is even further down than the knocking point.

to simplify things, grip the string however you want, but make sure you are consistent. that's the key. it is hard to do, when starting off, cause you don't know how you want to shoot the thing yet. lol. getting arrows set up is the other key. too stiff and they hit weird, too flimsy and they hit weird... but when it all comes together in a good setup- it is like magic! I cant believe how good a hunting rig can be, consistently hitting where you want to...

good vids on the tube from jimmy Blackmon and tom klum. lots to learn...
good podcasts out there, if you drive any distance to work, the time just melts away while you learn: the push, tradquest, stickbow chronicles. kifarucast is good if you find the episodes where Snyder talks tuning trad gear.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.