Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
41,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just wondering how most of you do it.

Im trying 3 under myself because it just felt a little more, I dont know, right to me I guess youd say. But I read that if you do that youre putting more stress on the lower limb of the bow and it wont shoot as good as it would if you shot two under and one over.

Is there any truth to that?

·
Grand Member
15,422 Posts
2 under for me, l always anchored in the corner of my mouth and wanted a finger there, not a knock. Also felt better with the arrow between my fingers instead of it just sitting on top of them.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
I believe it does, I could look in one of the 4H manuals, if I could find it! I'd say whatever your most comfortable with. A lot of times I would drop to one over and one under after I drew. But I am certainly no authority.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Two under. Think I have better control of the arrow when it is on the string. Been shooting this way for a little over 60 years.

Also use a glove. Again it is a control thing. Think I have better control with a glove.

·
Administrator
41,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, 60 years is a long time.

So far Im sticking with 3 under. It just seems a little bit easier to aim to me but 2 under does give me a little better hold of the arrow.

When I lost my tab I didn't want to drive all the way to Archers Advantage to get another one so I ordered one off the internet but stopped in Academy and got a glove made by Tarantula (its cheap and the only one they had) to get me by for a few days. Now I'm starting to think I like the glove better because for one thing I can wrap it around the limbs after I shoot and its there next time.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
You said it is a little bit easier to air with 3 under. In a sense I do not aim. It is an eye hand coordination thing. I concentrate on the spot. Do not look at the bow or arrow. So far that has worked for me. Shooting this way requires a lot of practice. You practice until you shoot like this without thinking about it. Some folks gap shoot, some have sight pins. Whatever works for you.

·
Administrator
41,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im so new at this that I dont know if I can really describe how I "aim". I sort of look at the end of the arrow but not really if that makes sense. My farthest shot so far has been 20 yards and I did that one time strictly to see if I could hit the target at all. Usually I practice around 12-15 yards away.

So most of the time the tip of the arrow is a little bit under and a little bit right of where I want to hit. I hope to get the point that its just instinctive like you described but I know thats gonna take awhile.

Im not very consistent yet. I can hit the target itself every time but I cant seem to group very well at all. 3 or 4 arrows will be in a 6-8 inch circle then the next 2 might be close to a foot away from those.

I know one thing though, Im enjoying shooting this bow and trying to learn this. With my compound its pretty easy to talk myself out of shooting because from 30-35 yards and in its pretty much a slam dunk that Im gonna hit pretty close to where I want to. But with this recurve Im a long way from being anywhere close to consistent so Ill go shoot 2 or 3 different times during the day if I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
You talk about enjoying shooting the recurve. I am going to make a kind of broad statement about most archers that may draw some comments. Most trad shooters enjoy shooting their bow and will shoot it year round and at every opportunity. They know that frequent practice is necessary to hone their skills. It is them and the bow. No sights, let off, or releases. Just a stick and string. On the other hand in talking with compound shooters, they see it as a way to extend the hunting season. Nothing wrong with that. Many compound shooters put their bow up at end of season and then get it out in August. Practice a few times and ready for hunting season. On the average compound shooters do not shoot year round unless they are shooting 3-D or something similar.

There seems to be a different level of enjoyment in shooting the bow between the trad shooter and the compound shooter.
Not being critical or trying to start a debate, just an observation. There are exceptions.

I started shooting before I was 12 and made my first bow at 12 years of age. I am 72 years old and shooting a 55# recurve. Recovering from triple bypass surgery so I am getting back in shape by shooting a 1960s model Ben Pearson Cougar 50# recurve. Shoot it several times a day. Got to build up the muscles after sitting around for 3 months of recovery. Getting there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.