1st time Coon hunting ?!?

Discussion in 'Predators, Varmints, and Hogs' started by DeLancey, Dec 13, 2010.

1. DeLancey

DeLancey Well-Known Member

I have hunted just about everything but coons. What do I need to take. What should I expect? We will be hunting at our hunting club in NWA

2. hunter_3780

hunter_3780 Select Member<br>2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner

assuming the guys your going with have a dog about all ya need is a light, a 22, and a pocket full of shells. with this weather be sure to dress warm. :up:

3. DeLancey

yeah he has a few dogs that he says are pretty good so I am pumped about it

4. kwackwacker809

kwackwacker809 Well-Known Member

All that and a GPS

5. hunter_3780

i coon hunted south arkansas 1 time. there are alot more coons there but that flat land gets me turned around. i would definatley need a gps down there. up here i have my mountains to get a bearing from.

6. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

Man if I was you I would just take a good light, wear a good pair of waterproof boots or hip waders depending on how much water you will be around, compass or gps, and dress for the weather I wouldnt even bother taking a gun if you are just going with someone elses dogs unless they ask you to bring one. Most coonhunters bring there own 22 and thats it. There is no reason for every one to have a gun on them. Beside it is just something else you will have to carry around in the dark.

You should expect to hear some fine sounding hounds if he has them and you might even fall in love with the sport.

7. DeLancey

Does this go even if I am taking him to my land?:head: He grew up coon hunting so I dont want to make him upset by doing something he does not like.

8. hunter_3780

just ask do you wanna take a gun or do you want me to. it shouldnt make anyone mad. :up:

9. DeLancey

Thanks everyone I am got my stuff ready to go already I am pumped about this trip!! I will try and get some video of the hunt and some pictures

10. englishdawgs

I doubt he will get mad being its on your land. The thing about the coonhunters I know is not all of us like to nock coons out everytime we tree one and if its my dogs I dont want other people shooting there guns around them unless I say they can. Not that you would I was just saying.

X2 just ask that way there are no problems.You want your first experiance with coonhunting to be enjoyable.

Have fun we will be looking forward to hearing about your first night coonhunting!

11. DeLancey

We killed 2 coon in two different trees with in 30 min of the sun going down. then the night went down hill from there:banghead: The dogs my buddy brought did awesome getting us on the first two coons then we jumped a deer walking through the woods. So we walked them about 500 yards before we let them go they headed straight back to where the deer was and well they ran for about 20 min that we could hear then they got out of hearing distance. Got back to the truck to get the tracker out and realized we forgot to put the collars on the dogs :banghead: so we unloaded the fourwheelers to go and find them and both had flat tires :mad: aired them up and rode back into the national forrest to where the dogs went and could not hear them or get them to come to us. We lost a Blue tick and a walker. We made a few calls today to the ppl that live around the place we were hunting and let them know to give us a call if they find them they both have collars on that have my buddies ph# on them

12. englishdawgs

Hope you guys find the dogs. I have been coonhunting for around 16 or 17 years and I can tell you every night is not this way but there are alot that are if the dogs decide they want to be dogs. Seems like when the dogs show their :censored: the whole night goes south.

13. DeLancey

got a call today the dogs are back at our camp the loggers that are working down there tied them up I am glad my buddy didnt loose his dogs for good :up:

14. If you enjoyed the dogs gettin treed I wouldnt give up on it. Nobody likes the deer runnin, but unfortunately it happens sometimes. I had quite a few dry runs when I first started huntin about 16 yrs ago. I mainly hunt alone now but I still like the heck out of it.

15. DeLancey

I enjoyed the heck out of it the listing to the dogs was the best part I will for sure go again heck i might even be hooked

16. Razoo97

Razoo97 Well-Known Member

Glad you had fun :thumb: I use to live for it...:wink: