Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone use a 17 HMR for coyotes? Would like to try it and I am confident in shot placement, but wanted to be sure it would do the job first.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Has anyone use a 17 HMR for coyotes? Would like to try it and I am confident in shot placement, but wanted to be sure it would do the job first.

I shot a coyote with my 17hmr yesterday and dropped him! I have a crappy scope on it so I just ordered a new scope

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ive been hunting with my 17 HMR this year since December. It will do the job but if you are shooting coyotes you probably need to shoot them in the head or neck. I body shot one about two weeks ago and never found him. Im sure he died later.

·
Banned
6,337 Posts
If I were going to get a 17 for coyotes, I would probably go for 17 WSM. Savage is the only maker that builds a repeater for this new caliber but it is a sweet rifle that can be bought for about $300

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I was shooting CCI hollow points and it hit him hard. A larger caliber would work better I'm sure on losses but I'm impressed with my 17hmr! I also paid under 200$ for mine at Walmart in ashflat. Black synthetic bull barrel marlin 917

·
Registered
133 Posts
Even though I lost a yote with mine I do have to say my 17 is one of my favorite guns. It is truly an awesome little round and I will definitely keep hunting with it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts