Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I shoot two squirrels this afternoon with 17 HMR FMJ right thou the chest and they run off and hid.:head:Then about 5minutes later they fell out dead.
They had nice clean holes in them.That ammo has no knock down power.I thought I missed. I think Ill stick to the red tipped ammo.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
It would be more accurate to say that they have no transfer of energy in that situation. At the speed that those bullets are traveling, they have gone through the squirrel before they can expand and transfer thier energy. If you were to shoot a larger animal with them, they may tear a large hole or not exit at all and drop the animal in it's tracks. The vmax bullets have a complete and almost immediate transfer of energy causing them to be so destructive. Basicaly, the 17hmr may be a blast to shoot but it is extreme overkill on squirrels. I always try to limit myself to head shots with a rifle. I don't kill as many squirrels that way but I don't destroy them either.

Even though this post sounds judgemental, it is not. I shoot squirrels with a 22wmr CCI Maximag hollow points or 12 guage #5 shot simply because that is what I choose to use.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I shoot two squirrels this afternoon with 17 HMR FMJ right thou the chest and they run off and hid.:head:Then about 5minutes later they fell out dead.
They had nice clean holes in them.That ammo has no knock down power.I thought I missed. I think Ill stick to the red tipped ammo.
Basically that's what a FMJ is supposed to do....little or no expansion, just a neat little hole like you described. If you want to make them do somersaults out of the tree on impact switch to the VMax ballistic tip bullets. But like others have already said, you better stick to head shots only if you want anything left to eat. :up:

.270Win

·
Premium Member
18,386 Posts
I'm very surprised by your results as i have experianced tremendous results with those FMJs. They really put a good hole in the many squirrels i've shot with them. They are my second choice when going after the bushytails.

Normally I wouldn't use FMJ to hunt anything, but they worked so well I stuck with them. They are also freaky accurate out of mine and I am able to take mostly headshots. But they have performed well for me on body shots.

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Basically that's what a FMJ is supposed to do....little or no expansion, just a neat little hole like you described. If you want to make them do somersaults out of the tree on impact switch to the VMax ballistic tip bullets. But like others have already said, you better stick to head shots only if you want anything left to eat. :up:

.270Win
Head shoots don't work either ask Jam, he's tried to skin some I've head shot with the V-Max rounds. Stick with a hollow-point or the FMJ and head shots if your going to use the .17 to hunt treerats. I went and bought a .22 today :thumb:.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Or....get a 17hm2! The mach2 round is my absolute favorite for squirrels, however i know lots of folks that squirrel hunt with the hmr as well.

FMJ=less damage,clean pass through requiring head shots,
Ballistic tips means a bit more damage but managable with head shots as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.