16 ga. hunters?

Discussion in 'Small Game and Bird Hunting' started by SalineRiver, Dec 20, 2010.

1. SalineRiver

SalineRiver Well-Known Member

Does anyone out there still shoot a 16? How easy are shells to find and what type of hunting do you use it for?

2. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

I still use a 16ga for birds and rabbit. Old 870 made in the mid 50's with tootsie roll slide. It's a modified tube and throws a perfect pattern for birds out to 20 to 25 yards.

I usually can pick up quail or rabbit loads at any Wal-Mart and keep a few boxes each of 6, 7 1/2, and 8 shot on hand. I'll load some when I can. Just seem to buy more than I load.

3. delta duster

delta duster Well-Known Member

I always use my Sweet 16 for quail and dove hunting. I order shells online so I can get exactly what I need. It's still one of the best around....

4. Ringo08

Ringo08 Well-Known Member

I have a 16. gauge that I use. Every now and then Wal-Mart will have shells, but that is few and far between. So whenever I see that they have them I usually buy me a few boxes.

5. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

I always did like the 16ga for quail and rabbits. I still have a Stevens 16 ga single shot, but it kicks like a mule. No problem finding shells. thumb:

6. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

My stepdad uses a sweet 16 mod choke to hunt squirrels all the time. Buys his shells at Kmart they always have shells. I used to use my grandpas 16 gauge pump revelations when I was a younger it had a full choke and you had to shoot squirrels at a long distance if you plained on eating them.

7. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

I have a Model 11 Remington that gets out a time or two a season to shoot doves, crows and such. Took it after teal a few years back too.

I like the 16 for birding. Light little frame and a good shooter!

8. SalineRiver

I have an old Stevens 311A double gun. It appears to have both full chokes but haven't had it out yet. Picked up some high brass 6's at Wally World the other night but they don't have a lot to offer in the 16 variety.

Sure looking forward to chasing some bushy tails with it now that deer season is out of the way.

I know its not a 12 but think it'll reach some of the taller timber we have.

9. Tony Harris

Tony Harris Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi Staff Member

I have about 15 boxes of 16 ga shells and gave my son my Sweet 16. Looking for a cheap single shot to stick back. I loved that Browning, full choke and it was a duck killing machine.

10. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    My buddy's dad had an old Ithaca 16g, and I loved shooting that thing. I got my great grandpa's Winchester Model 12 16g, but I havent shot it yet. I bought some shells for it at a gun shop. I dont think I ever looked for them at Wal-Mart.

11. ducksoup

ducksoup Well-Known Member

I have an old over under I use sometimes for doves .. love to shoot it!

12. mikeg

mikeg Well-Known Member

My brother still uses a model 12 winchester 16 gauge on sqirrels and it is deadly, but has to shoot remington shells

13. SalineRiver

What website do you order from?

14. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    I have my grandfather's Browning Sweet 16. I got it when he died in 1982. He had been sick for about 6 or 7 years so I know it hasn't been shot since back in the early to mid 70's. I still have some paper shells, and some boxes of Montgomery Ward shells, marked $1.99 per box. :biggrin:

My mom bought it for him for Christmas back in 1959. She said it was unheard of to pay that much for a shotgun back then... $99... :fit:

Every year I say I'm going to take it out and shoot it, I've had it since '82 and still haven't done it.

[​IMG]

15. SalineRiver

Gramps old shotguns are way cool. I have (among others) my Granddads old Model 12 in 12 ga. and some old boxes of shells he had too. One old box of 30/30 had corroded tips on the bullets.

Old guns are cool.

16. delta duster

delta duster Well-Known Member

I go to gunbroker.com

17. twiceborn

twiceborn Well-Known Member

browning 16

My dad and mom bought me a browning 16 for high school graduation back in 1964. My dad shot and old cheap bolt action 12 but he and mama bought me the nicest gun they could get. I will always cherish the gun and the sacrifice they made for me. I still use it whenever I go squirrel or dove hunting.

18. jasmith1101

jasmith1101 Active Member

I have a 16 ga. Belgium Browning that I have never been able to find shells for! It is chambered for a 2 9/16 shell. It will shoot the 2 3/4 shells fine though. Use to squirrel hunt with it but alot. I also have a 16 ga. single shot Stephens model 940 I believe. Both are great guns in my opinion for squirrel hunting.