Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read of several people having good results from 3" #4's for 'yotes out to about 50yds.

I've never used this load on them so I don't know what the results are, but it just seems a bit light for that range.

I'm not posting for an arguement, just curious what other experiences are with that load. I've been using #2 Nitro-Mags, but I need to order some more.... I've got a good supply of 3" #4's, so I'm trying to decide whether to try something new.

What say you 'yote hunters??

·
Registered
86 Posts
I killed one with some #4 a few years ago squirrel hunting but he wasn't but about 30 yards out.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I read it, they were talking about #4 common shot..... if it's #4B... I know with all certainty what that does to dogs!

And #4 comman shot will kill a dog too, just not sure what kind of range it would be a "clean kill" at???

·
Registered
92 Posts
The dogs I've tapped with a 12 were coincidental. I was out after other game and just happened up on some Yotes. It will take 'um down to be sure but then a 12 gauge up close will kill a bull elephant.

I think for predator hunting, a 12 gauge probably isn't your most versatile choice.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I agree about the overall versatility. Hard to reach out and touch 'em with a gauge!
But, to that end; I've killed several up close and personal with a 12 bore. But, I've never used #4's. I'd love to have some Hevi-Shot for 'em, but I hate to drop the $$$ for it.
I had just read other posts where folks had used #4's and was curious as to what ranges they had used these, and whether they were DRT or not.
One particular stand I plan to hunt has been covered up in 'cats and 'yotes all deer season, and it is a short range stand for the most part. The furthest I would even be able to see a yote or cat would be about 70yds. I certainly wouldn't want to shoot a 'yote at that range (w/ a shotgun), but if they work in to the call 30-50yds or less may be real do-able. I had 'cats to actulally sit under the stand during the ML season!
I may just go ahead and order another box or two of Nitro-Mag 2's and stay with what has worked before.

·
Administrator
73,214 Posts
When I first started predator hunting, my son and I used some leftover 2 3/4" #4 Mags from my old waterfowl hunting days. They killed fox and yote out to 40 yards or so. We only carried shotguns if we knoew we'd be hunting in the thick stuff. We now use 3" #2 mags, but I'd have no problem still using the #4's if I had them.

·
Member<br>'09 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<br
432 Posts
I've killed 2 coyotes with 12 gauge. Both were while I was turkey hunting. Shot the first one at about 25 yards with some #6 turkey loads. He dropped, got back up and ran about 50 yards and went back down.
Shot the second one at about 35 yards with #6 Hevi shot. He dropped like a rock.
Not sure how far out it would be that effective though. Up close it sure did the job.

·
Registered
13,204 Posts
Every turkey season there's plenty of them killed with 4-6 shot.
I think legally you can use up to T shot on private land and up to 4 on a WMA.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.....good enough for me!!!!

I've got plenty of #4's and right now they are easy to find what with T-season around the corner!!!

I've also got a LOT of buckshot, but as Mr. C noted; it may be best I not pack it with me!!!! I don't need no drama!!!!

Where I'm headed it is almost ALL thick stuff! There is one cut-over that I'm going to take my AR to and a bud is going to hunt another smaller clear cut with his .243. But, since we plan to hunt crows as the day wanes on I wanted to lighten the load so to speak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts