104 pound coyote

Discussion in 'Predators, Varmints, and Hogs' started by englishdawgs, Dec 16, 2010.

1. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

2. miketyson26

miketyson26 Well-Known Member

huge....

Man thats a huge coyote. 104lbs? I can see why they thought it was a wolf. It wouldn't take to many coyotes half that size to hurt a deer population real fast.

Miketyson26 :flag:

3. Rogerd

Rogerd Super Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2012

Sounds like he was a good eater!

4. .270Win

.270Win Super Moderator<br>Forum Sponsor<br>'07 Deer Hunti

Ya think? Duh! :doh:

.270Win

5. shady grove

shady grove Well-Known Member

I read in F-F-G awhile back that the game and fish in Maine had confirmed quite a few cases of wolf-coyote hybrids. They say it happens when wolves are reintroduced into native areas populated by coyotes.

6. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor

From looking at the photos, it looks to me like that coyote has an alaskan malumute in it's family tree. Note the distinctive color markings. Not to mention it would explain it's size.

7. duckhunter2-2007

duckhunter2-2007 Well-Known Member

There is no amount of DNA testing that could convince me that it's not more wolf than coyote.:head:

8. agreed

9. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    They will get to that right after they finish with the Bigfoot DNA. :thumb:

10. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

It's a toss up for me between a coy-wolf and a coy-dog.... like the malmute!

Good chance it was a "farm-visit" souvenir!

I have a real tough time believing its just a straight up yote!

11. arc3162

arc3162 Well-Known Member

Looks to me like it might have been a cross with a malamute as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks a lot a like. I have heard that wild dogs will breed into the coyote population. Might be what happened here.

12. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

Nice Yote see themsize all the time in Canada :skeptical:

13. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I think it's time to start a red wolf thread.

14. jrock

jrock Well-Known Member

Looks like someone shot fluffy to me.........

15. formula13x

formula13x Well-Known Member

Bwahaa Yes.
    Baaahhh, they are all the same thing anyhow (that oughtta get things going).

I seriously think there is too much too all of this "species classification" sometimes. Of course this is speaking in total ignorance, but a canine is a canine is a canine. If they were seperated form each other and one group, grows bigger than the other with different colors etc.. Doesn't make a difference, they are still canine and breed with each other producing fertile offspring (so if a breeding population of these were to start would we call it a new species), say like.. Red-Wolf LOL.

16. bigangrychicken

bigangrychicken Well-Known Member

...that don't look like a coyote.

17. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor

The reason that I said malamute to begin with is because I've seen it first hand. A local that lived close to deer camp had a rather large malamute. He would come to visit our camp in the evenings in hopes of getting scraps. Afew years after the ole dog died, I had a doe come bounding through the woods as if she was late for an appointment. Seconds later, here it came. A coy that was ever bit as big as it's dad. Markings and all. And on the doe's trail, trotting along. After mentioning this to club members, it came about that afew of them had seen large yotes that were colored up similar to the ole malamute.

18. dash4cash

dash4cash Well-Known Member

I need a bigger gun:biggrin:

Carl

19. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

naw just switch to ballistic tips

20. CrabClaw

CrabClaw Well-Known Member

I was guessing that it must have a lot of dog genetics to get that large.