1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,582 Posts
Suppose you take a 1,000 yard shot, and just after you pull the trigger, another hunter at 900 yds stands up:confused: Those type shots can stay in big plains states where million acre ranches with wide open spaces are the general rule. :wink:

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Suppose you take a 1,000 yard shot, and just after you pull the trigger, another hunter at 900 yds stands up:confused: Those type shots can stay in big plains states where million acre ranches with wide open spaces are the general rule. :wink:
Maybe a 10,000 acre ranch, but not a million acre ranch. The largest I hunted was 32,000 acres, most were 4-5,000 acres.

·
Banned
7,034 Posts
Maybe a 10,000 acre ranch, but not a million acre ranch. The largest I hunted was 32,000 acres, most were 4-5,000 acres.

My wife has a friend whose in-laws have over 200k ranch in New Mexico and my bros SILs family has over 600k in Wyoming. Wish they would let me hunt it.:frown: Big ranches arent uncommon out west.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I find it strange that most people have never shot long distance. I enjoy shooting out to 800+ yards for fun. Granted, there have been no animals killed beyond 500 and I would weigh the need for a shot like that very hard. But none the less, it depends on skill and need.

The thing about long distance shooting is actually doing it versus thinking it can't be done. All it takes is practice, with the gun and ammo that you use, and then use it often. Make sure that you know your equipment and I promise you, that once you hit a few hundred targets at long range, you will be a better shot. Rock shooting is really fun.

Problems and mistakes happen at close range too. The way the bullet holds trajectory is no different at 100yds than it is at 1000. The difference is that the shooter doesn't usually know what to expect at longer distances. By practicing with those loads OFTEN you can see first hand, just do it in a safe manner. By doing that, you would be able to see what the bullet does and adjust for windage and elevation at different distances. I've had people at deer camp be amazed at 300 yard shots, then come over and say it is about 700 yards or more. They would swear up and down I was wrong until I show them. Some just do not know how to range, so they get the biggest gun they can and expect it to shoot flat.

I've been chewed out for some of the shots I have made and the harvest I have done, even by some here on this board. But the people that do not shoot often enough, shouldn't pass judgment on those that do shoot often. There is a big difference between confidence+practice and arrogance+irresponsibility.

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
Well then he still has 100 yards of clearence
He has no clearance at all, he is actually in danger of being hit by the bullet. If you take a 180 grain 30 caliber bullet with a ballistic coefficient of .507 (Nosler Ballistic Tip), traveling at 3100 FPS (300 Mag velocity), at 900 yards the bullet is dropping back toward line of site from a maximum rise at ~550 yards of ~98". At that distance, the bullet is only ~40" above LOS. If a 6' man stands up at 900 yards, they bullet could hit him in the upper body.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
If I want to shoot long distance, I can shoot at targets long distance..

I do not see any reason to even attempt long range shots at animals 500 + yards is what I consider long range .... I believe there are too many variables that could lead to wounding too many animals....

and it would never happen at my lease, or if it did it would be the last time....
as that member would not get the chance to do it again...

MET

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
And there is that!!!!

I'm with LedZhead....... I'd rather be up close and personal! To me the thrill is when you can count the hairs on the muzzle or spot a tick on the animals back!!! That is a might bit sporting to me!!!

Not to dis anyone who wants to pop animals with the Mangum-of-the-Month, but I just don't see the sport in it. Is it a great show of skill with the weapon?? Awww hell yeah!! But a great skill as a hunter??? Not so much really!!!

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
Since those guys are using a 338 Edge, I plugged the ballistics of that round into the ballistics calculator. Using a 300 grain SMK (B.C. of .768) at 3000 fps and a 1000 yard zero, the bullet will have maximum rise of 74.5" at 550 yards and only be 29.9" above zero at 900 yards. A man standing at 900 yards would be in big trouble if the guy knew his rifle. Time of flight would be 1.097 sec at 900 yards and 1.248 to 1K.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
What's funny is that I have seen many shots missed up close as well. Some within a couple of dozen yards. There again, because they didn't practice shooting. The 100 yard pie plate sightin is not the definitive answer in shooting skill. It is very easy to shoot under a deer's vitals at 10-50 yards.

I have missed just like everyone else, but if I do.... You can be sure I will find out why and most importantly, learn from it.

Oh, and I'm not a magnum guy. My 300 weatherby spends lots of lonely hours in the safe. My Ar15s are first to shoot and be used. If I had 1 gun to choose, it would be my .223.

Whatever you comfortable with. Arkansas landscape is not the only place to hunt nor is it the only way though.

·
Administrator
90,592 Posts
Oh, and I'm not a magnum guy. My 300 weatherby spends lots of lonely hours in the safe. My Ar15s are first to shoot and be used. If I had 1 gun to choose, it would be my .223.
Boy, that sounds like a broken record... I have a Browning A Bolt 300 Win Mag that hasn't been out of the safe in years. Any time I go to the range I take an AR. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.