Arkansas Hunting banner

10/22 Project

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sportsmanetc 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally became a member of the Ruger 10/22 club. I went with the stainless/synthetic and added an aimpoint that I had (from a previous on-line trade). Now what? Replacement barrel and stock most likely. Anyone have experience with Green Mountain vs. Tac-Sol vs. Butler Creek barrels? I like the hogue overmolded stocks. I also thought about going all in with a sound suppressor. Can vs. intrigal. Performance vs cost. So many options!!!!

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experience with the 10/22. I'd also like to see some pictures....

#2 ·
Welcome to the club! It's an addiction that has no cure. Fortunately, ammo is still plentifull and cheap!

I've never heard a bad work about Green Mountain barrels and I'm considering one for one of my 10-22's. If you go that route before I do, let us know how it comes out!

Suppressors require a bit of thought and paperwork, as well as a $200.00 tax stamp. Mr. C. showed me an article about setting up a trust to own a short-barreled rifle, and I imagine the same could be done for a suppressor, as well.

#3 ·
I know the $200 tax is expensive, but I'm sure it is not going to get any cheaper in the future. I checked on a John Norrell (out of LR). He'll convert your 10/22 into a 16inch interal barrel for $475. You are able to shoot standard velocity ammo through it. Problem is, he is booked solid and not taking orders until the fall. Mack's Prairie Wings in Stuttgart keeps a number of brands and types in stock. I might be temped to get a can from them. They have a Tac Sol Sawtooth barrel, but wanted $750 for it. Too rich for my blood.

#7 ·
Welcome to the club.
I've been pleased with my Butler Creek barrel but have heard nothing but good things about the GM barrels.
Get you a laminated thumbhole stock when you go to fixing it up.
I sure want to get one for my little 10/22.
Check out Rimfire central on the web sometime. You'll discover more 10/22 info than you can ever hope to imagine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.