Arkansas Hunting banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Pretty much. I was planning on still hunting, but wind was wrong for this location. Ended up in a ground blind I set for my wife last Saturday. A friend was in my stand about 100 yards down. He Had a good 8 in around 2:30 pushing a hot doe, and missed. Had a single deer pass by at 180 yards about 30 minutes before dark. 10 minutes of shooting light had a real big one on the same path. Grunted at him and he came running. Apparently another buck was behind me, and heard my grunts. He came to a scrape 10 yards to my right, but I had no shot. He drifted into my path around 30 yards out, the rest is in the pics. My best buck to date I think. Shot with my wife's crossbow, in her blind, on public ground. Hopefully I can get her on that bigger buck next week.

Looking at those woods yesterday, you would assume the rut was in full swing. Of course 1 hot doe brings bucks in, no matter the date. View attachment 286330
Nice deer! That Ravin will spoil you! I don’t think I’ve dusted off the Mathews since I bought it a few years ago. Straight up killer!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Pretty much. I was planning on still hunting, but wind was wrong for this location. Ended up in a ground blind I set for my wife last Saturday. A friend was in my stand about 100 yards down. He Had a good 8 in around 2:30 pushing a hot doe, and missed. Had a single deer pass by at 180 yards about 30 minutes before dark. 10 minutes of shooting light had a real big one on the same path. Grunted at him and he came running. Apparently another buck was behind me, and heard my grunts. He came to a scrape 10 yards to my right, but I had no shot. He drifted into my path around 30 yards out, the rest is in the pics. My best buck to date I think. Shot with my wife's crossbow, in her blind, on public ground. Hopefully I can get her on that bigger buck next week.

Looking at those woods yesterday, you would assume the rut was in full swing. Of course 1 hot doe brings bucks in, no matter the date. View attachment 286330
Nice deer! That Ravin will spoil you! I don’t think I’ve dusted off the Mathews since I bought it a few years ago. Straight up killer!

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
3,130 Posts
In 97 I bought a Barnett recurve crossbow. Shot 1 deer with it that year. Been hunting with compounds and traditional since then. This year, the woman wanted to bow hunt more, but she's not ready yet with her compound. Adding to that, she's scared of heights, and has a hard time cocking a traditional crossbow cause she's so short. I picked this thing up for her in September. Damn! Crossbows have changed since 97

·
Premium Member
33,553 Posts
Let the Team Down..Filling Feeders for up coming Gun season at our Farms..
Took my crossbow to set in some box stands..
Called my Dad Discussing Next weekend plans..He's 87..

Doe came running through the woods..
Small yearling..Don't shoot em..

Call him back..Here comes a bigger Look like 1.5 old doe no little ones following
Decided to take her for some meat..

Got her stopped no bucks behind her..

I shoot the hit looks high between the shoulder and her back bone..high hit.
This is 12:30...

High hit arrow still in her no pass through means no blood to trail...

Last saw her heading for a 5 strand barbwire fence..

If she made it over..Ain't finding this ol gal..
I looked for a 1/4 Of a mile where she might have gone under..

No deal....Didn't find..

I HATE LOSEING ONE..HATE IT!!

SORRY MY BAD!!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Congrats Buckbob! Any of you others still after it? I'm trying to take the wife this weekend, and may try for a doe. Other than that, I'll try to pick up my 5 squirrels
Thanks! I’m mostly hunting for bucks now, but I’ll still be after it until the end of the season. I should be somewhere hunting Tuesday afternoon.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.