Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shot my crossbow for the first time today :clap: sucker is fast not the fastest but a lot faster than any other bow i have owned.i got it used i needed to clean her up some. the scope was off for me any way about 14" to the right at 20 yds and about 6" low got it to where it only needs a bit more tweaking at 20 yds. i have not shot a bow in many years we have a archery range in the city park thats very nice to have. i got there and put a 2 lt pop bottle on the ground to shoot at. i thought this looks like 20 yds boy was i wrong think it was closer to 45 yds:head: haha but after i found my mistake i did not do that bad. then my back started to ache some after cocking it about 20 times 175 lb draw even with a rope cocker . but at 62 yr old that's expected some. i'll get use to it. i still had FUN! oh my new to me CB is a horton legend II cheap alum arrows from walmart i just bought for practice use. i sure like the 10 point scope on it even with bi focal glasses it's very clear and sharp.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
You are probably aware of it, but I think it is worth mentioning: On Horton Legends and many other bows made by Horton, they are equiped with the dial-a-range feature. It sits just below and behind the safety, and the setting can normally be checked or changed from either side of this model. I have known more than a few people shoot over a deer due to someone or something changing this setting. Make sure this is set on 2, this is for a 20 yard shot. And every time you start to shoot be aware of the dials position. Each number corresponds to a 10 yard distance for the number, so 3 is 30 and so. I leave mine set on 2 and I don't use the feature. Good shooting and good luck this season, and enjoy your bow.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for that info. yes mine has that but was not sure exactly how it worked. i have only shot it once so far mine is set at zero. i have a 10 point scope on it the three like one.i shot it just the way i got it at first 10 or so shots then i needed to adjust the windage it was shooting way right elevation was close about 6 inches low. i have not shot at any other distances yet but in the next few days i will do some more then at 30 yds.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
You are probably aware of it, but I think it is worth mentioning: On Horton Legends and many other bows made by Horton, they are equiped with the dial-a-range feature. It sits just below and behind the safety, and the setting can normally be checked or changed from either side of this model. I have known more than a few people shoot over a deer due to someone or something changing this setting. Make sure this is set on 2, this is for a 20 yard shot. And every time you start to shoot be aware of the dials position. Each number corresponds to a 10 yard distance for the number, so 3 is 30 and so. I leave mine set on 2 and I don't use the feature. Good shooting and good luck this season, and enjoy your bow.
Hey, MP, just how reliable is your "dial a range" feature? I never could get mine to reliably do what you just said; I leave mine on 1 or 2 and have multiple pins out front for ranges...

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
When I did play with mine, it worked pretty good, with aluminum arrows/bolts and I used a scope, couldn't vouch for pins. It has to be lined up at 20 yards and #2 selected for it to work. I had broken my back and did not have a suitable back stop to shoot into, except rocks in the hills. My mom has an old pond 60 yards down the hill. I set it on 6 and took a rest off of a high cut stump. I didn't expect to hit anything but the pond leve, but I actually did hit the pop can I was aiming at. It only went into the can and maybe a couple of inches of clay,(not good enough for deer at that range IMO) but I did hit it. I didn't try it again though. It seemed to work pretty good for me at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards though, but I switched to carbon shafts since then and they fly flatter and I haven't used it since I have very little drop between 20 and 30 yards.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
thanks for that info. yes mine has that but was not sure exactly how it worked. i have only shot it once so far mine is set at zero. i have a 10 point scope on it the three like one.i shot it just the way i got it at first 10 or so shots then i needed to adjust the windage it was shooting way right elevation was close about 6 inches low. i have not shot at any other distances yet but in the next few days i will do some more then at 30 yds.
I have a 4X scope on mine with three graduations for 10/20/30 yards. I leave the dial-a-distance set on 1 and never touch it. Just use the graduations on the scope. Also, once you feel comfortable with yours, be sure to range everything from an elevated platform is you are going to be shooting out of a tree stand. Big difference between shooting from the ground and from 30-feet up in a tree.

Cheers.....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Your mention of using aluminum arrows brings up another point worth remembering. Aluminum arrows are quite a bit lighter than carbon. So if you sight in your CB with aluminum and then switch to carbon during hunting, you'll probably be shooting low. So it's best to practice and sight in your CB with the same arrow you plan on hunting with.
For what it's worth, carbon arrows are stronger than aluminum and will take more abuse (if you miss your target). I have gotten to the point that I will only use carbon for deer hunting anymore.
Also, mechanical broadheads fly more like target points than do fixed broadheads which sometimes tend to plane with three blade being worse than four blade.
Best of luck come 1 October.

Cheers.....

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i night use carbon arrows some day. but never used anything but alum. started archery in the early 70's used alum then. stopped archery for many yrs. just got back into it so i use what worked for me then other than my crossbow. i just don't like the mechanical heads but admit i never shot any.. the muzzy's 4 blade should work fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.