Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for some powder to stockpile, suitable to my new lead experiment. I bought the lee mold for the 308, have the new sizer, dies, etc... I researched and found out about h4895, how there is the “60% rule” that you can use to make decreased velocity loads safely. Looked on the gun broker and found a bunch of overly priced h4895, and also found some, not as bad, overly priced imr4895. So I called hodgdon.

they said that the imr cannot be loaded reduced velocity using the same rule. So I explained my goal: to have a stockpile of the right powder that one can safely use in any (or near any) rifle, since we have a variety of calibers, but mainly going to load for the 3030 and 308. The rep told me that they had actually had a meeting recently about marketing a different powder as a “do-all” and to target prepper’s for their goal of end of times type scenarios-stockpiling for what if there is no more...

He offered up the suggestion of Accurate 5744, and he said it ticks off all those boxes, but with published data instead of having to use a recipe for reduced loads. In fact, he said it is great for lead cast bullets, and is listed in the Lyman Lead bullet manual. That sounds great to me, since I have a new copy of lyman’s on the counter at home. He also said it may not be “on the radar” yet, so I may be able to find it easier

I got on the broker and ordered up two pounds, just to start with, and we will keep our eyes peeled for some less expensive alternative from a less than auction type dealer.

Have y’all had any dealings with this powder?

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Watch Hodgdon website for availability. I’ve bought some powder directly from them. You get smoked on shipping but you will have the powder.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Watch Hodgdon website for availability. I’ve bought some powder directly from them. You get smoked on shipping but you will have the powder.
Yeah, that’s why I went ahead and bought two from the gunbroker, I thought it may save on shipping

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I use 4895 for lead in 30.30 and 30.06 but to me it really shines in 30.06 while 3031 works better for me with my 30.30 2400 can be used with great 100 yard accuracy in 30.30 & 30.06 and could fill your niche. The issue I have with 2400 is accuracy in 30.06 at distance up to 600 yards. It will do it but with a lot more hold over than shooting with 4895. With the 30.30 and 2400 I have rang steel at 300 yards fairly consistently but once again more holdover than when using 3031.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've used AA-5744 for years in 357,44, 45, 223 and 30-30and can attest to it's usefulness as a good performer, especially with lead.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've read a lot about Unique and lead bullets. Here's an online thread you can look at with some discussion. Unique loads a whole lot of different things. I always keep a couple of pounds and should probably get a big keg, but then I would have to get a pot and some lead and some molds..... If I was a true prepper, though, and already into the cast game, I would definitely be looking at unique just for sheer versatility.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Unique is also a good powder for lots of things- one of the old Lyman books has tons of loads for rifles using unique - mostly lead - I'm inclined to think it is #40 from 1955.

·
Administrator
78,388 Posts
If I had to choose one rifle powder and one handgun powder to take me to the end of time it would be H4895 and Unique. They can load every cartridge I load plus a lot more. It may not be the top performer in some rounds but they will work in a wide variety of cartridges. I probably load more of those 2 than all the other powders combined.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
If I were not planning to shoot past 150 yards I feel 2400 would be fine. This is my 30.06 with 16.5 grains of 2400 at 100 yards. I'm using a 202gr lead bullet that I cast. With 2400 in my open sighted 30.30 I get about a 4" group at 100 yards.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I always liked 3031 to stock up on. Sorta like penicillin of the powder world, it works on just about every rifle I load for and then some...d2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts