Premium deer feed

Discussion in 'Quality Deer Management' started by relliott1961, Jan 25, 2017.

1. relliott1961

relliott1961 Well-Known Member

Lono
    Which one of the premium deer feeds has the best attraction due to its smell/aroma?

2. relliott1961

Lono
    Let me rephrase the question. What premium feeds have you used and what where the results?

3. mikebri

mikebri Well-Known Member

I've had above average results with deer 365. Has good smell and hardly no attraction from coons or hogs.

4. Earnhardt fan #1

Earnhardt fan #1 Premium Member<br>2012 Turkey Hunting Contest Winn

I just feed 14-16% protien pellets from the feed store, Deer love'm and its easier on the pocket book than the protien pellet bags with deer on them

5. relliott1961

Lono
    Deer 365 is only thing I've tried so far besides corn and rice bran. Coons and deer didn't seem to carry for it.

6. mikebri

mikebri Well-Known Member

How do you feed this, trough or feeder?
    How do coons and hogs react? Do they eat it alot?

7. Earnhardt fan #1

Earnhardt fan #1 Premium Member<br>2012 Turkey Hunting Contest Winn

coons yes, deer yes , hogs i don't know don't have that problem at either place....yet

I can tolerate coons, Deer will eat a 55 gallon drum in a week at my place at mtn view and no coons in the pics

8. dspeakes

dspeakes Grand Member<br> 2006 Spring Turkey Team Contest W

Everything eats the protein pellets where I hunt in Sharp county. Deer 365 works for me. The deer love it and the coons and hogs stay out of it. it is 18% - 20% protein.

9. 1928

1928 Well-Known Member

We feed a deer feed made at Caldwell feeds. It added about 25% to their weight and about 25% to their Boone and Crocket score. It took a while for them to start using it. We mixed it with corn and added a few apples under the feeders.

It got expensive. We were feeding 6 free range feeders on 600 acres.

10. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    Those are impressive results. I think your last sentence explains it. We haven't seen near those results, but we only have 10 protein feeders on around 6,000 acres. There are some places here running 1 feeder to every 80-100 acres that are growing some huge deer. We can't afford to feed that much.

11. Ahhhhh the ole Texas A&M offense. Protein pellets everywhere. I hate that offense.

12. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

I think I read something where MSU research shows the high protein foods work for second generation - on captive deer that don't have food available elsewhere. In your opinion, how well does it work on wild deer?

13. They work amazingly on captive deer. I would rather not speak on wild populations. I.e. the "A&M" offense.

14. Did you just say "HOGS STAY OUT OF IT"!!!????!!!??!?!!

What about the unicorns? Seriously man you are lucky.

15. dspeakes

dspeakes Grand Member<br> 2006 Spring Turkey Team Contest W

Not sure why but I have pictures of hogs near the feed trough with Deer 365 but never a picture of one eating it. If I put pellets or corn in the trough, they are all in it.