Paw Paw Trees?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Hooked Spurs, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Hooked Spurs

Hooked Spurs Well-Known Member

Anyone have any history deer hunting around Paw Paw fruit trees?

2. Ozark hunter

Ozark hunter Well-Known Member

i lived in kansas as a child and my grandfather loved those things. we'd always walk the bnsf train tracks and fill a tote full of em'. i've never seen them down here though

3. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

Where in Kansas, Ozark??? I lived in Coffeyville until I was 11.

4. rageworld

rageworld Well-Known Member

I know where 3 of them are just south of little rock. One was on the side of my shooting lane, never noticed deer messing with them. We lost Our lease a few years ago and haven't found another paw paw tree anywhere else.

5. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member<br>2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

6. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    I went and picked a couple paw paw's at my inlaw's the other evening, but I dont think they were all the way ripe yet. I've never seen them before, but I'd always heard of them. They tasted pretty good! I cant see why a deer would pass them up. How long will they stay on the tree?

7. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

It's been my experience that once ripe the paw paws don't last long at all. Maybe a matter of a couple days.

8. Hooked Spurs

Found a little grove of them this past weekend. They were loaded down with fruit. I have never hunted around them. Did some research on them & found mixed reviews. Some say that deer don't eat them while others say they do, just unclear from the sources how preferred they are by deer.

9. Hobbshunter

NWA
    I kept some seeds out of those paw paws from the inlaws, and I plan to plant them on my place next year. Check back here in about 7-10 years, and I'll tell you if I have ever seen any deer eating them.:biggrin:

10. Wes Ramsey

Wes Ramsey Well-Known Member

We've got tons of them on our place in Ozark County, MO, but I've never ACTUALLY seen a deer eat one. I've seen them on the ground with bite marks and such, but can't tell for sure that it was a deer. I do know they hang around them - they have trails and beds all through where most of ours are.

Pawpaws are a great treat, but rare. They have a shelf life shorter than bananas. Supposedly they are very healthy to eat.

11. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

I'd love some seeds to plant around the place if you could get me some Wes. I've not eaten them much, but love the tast and texture.

12. Hooked Spurs

I plan on the same myself. I gathered 4 of the fruits to try that and I have an ideal place on my land that is low lying & stays moist most of the time. I did read that they are not very successful for transplanting.

I did read that it has such a short shelf life & that's the reason it has never been commercialized. There was some deer sign around them but didn't look like any of the fruit that had dropped had been eaten the best I could tell. There was other food sources right there too....wild plums, honey locust, etc. Those paw paw trees & fruit look like something tropical. I think coons and possums probably do a number on them.

I read a couple of online sources that said deer have a much slower learning curve concerning food sources, and that basically if deer knew they could eat them they would. :head: With the mindset of survival I would think a deer would readily eat what food sources are available in their core area, though I do understand the concept that if acorns are falling and that's their preference, by the time they slow down to eat the paw paw fruit it is too rotten.

13. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

If you've never eated one they are a treat. They do look and tast tropical almost a banana/mango taste to them and very creamy texture. Heck I don't care if the deer like them or not. I would like to have some for myself.

14. Hobbshunter

NWA
    Sounds like you did your research. I've got my seeds wrapped in a paper towel, in a ziploc bag, in the fridge. It said they have to be cold for something like 100 days. Then plant in a pot to start, and then plant in the ground later next year. I just googled "how to plant a paw paw."

15. Hobbshunter

NWA
    John, I got a few seeds for myself. If I get back out to the inlaws, I'll get you some. I'll let you know.

16. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

I've also never seen one grow in full sunlight. They've always been in moist shady areas.

Cool send me a pm if you get some.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  17. Wes Ramsey

Wes Ramsey Well-Known Member

John,

I don't know how soon I'll be back up in MO, but next time I do I'll try to snag you some fruit or seeds if there are any around.

18. hunter_3780

hunter_3780 Select Member<br>2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner

i dont know about deer but the bears tear them up around here :up:

19. Ozark hunter

Ozark hunter Well-Known Member

lawrence, desoto, shawnee, lenexa, and the list goes on... mostly around johnson county. i was born in salem,ar but spent most of my childhood up there.

i would love to get my hands on one of these trees, it would bring back alot of memories

20. hortonhunter

hortonhunter Well-Known Member

nea
    Have seen them on a lease I was in along the arkansas river down south close to mississippi river never did see deer come to them though at least while I was hunting near them did taste some and they tasted pretty good