home made boat motor stand

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by factory909, Mar 25, 2010.

1. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

got bored last night and built this motor stand on casters so i can work on the 6hp johnson i am picking up saturday

[​IMG]

2. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

That's alright. I built one similar to that but wider. I could put my outboard and 2 trolling motors on it for the of season and from getting stolen. Did'nt think about casters, though.

3. Holmes

Holmes Well-Known Member

Its probablly strong enough but if you turned a 1 by 4 on its side and ran it from the board that angles down at the bottom where it joins with the board right above the castor, horizontal to the boards that go straight down it would ad alot of strenth.

4. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member<br>2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I want one.

5. Ginder75

Ginder75 Well-Known Member

I built one very similar to your design. But it is MUCH larger. I have had everything from a 3.5 Evinrude all the way up to a 250 Yamaha on mine. The casters are great for moving around. Plus you can work on one in the shop and roll it outside for a test run.

That little shelf is PERFECT for a small gas can and a battery. Comes in handy when you bring a mystery motor home for some trouble shooting. Mount a universal control on the side and you have a great test stand and motor storage.

I am thinking about swapping my casters for some of the BIG inflatable off road casters. For even more manueverability.

6. leserz

leserz Well-Known Member

looks good to me nice job. only thing i would modify would be is to put 2 nut bolts on each side top board instead of the nails or screws

7. mattD

mattD Well-Known Member

I saw this post last week and decided i'd give it a try, i'm by no means a carpenter but it works. Took about 2 hours and $25 worth of material and scraps i had around the house.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jimmyh

jimmyh Well-Known Member

f-909. Should have got that pat. :fit: