Garden time!!!

Discussion in 'Home, Garden, and Yard' started by Gobbles, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Gobbles

Gobbles Well-Known Member

Well fellers i got my taters, green onions and big onions planted yesterday. Ive got brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, and romaine lettuce started by seed inside that will be planted in a few weeks

JB Weld and ranger481 like this.
  2. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

I just havent had time. Wish I did - dirt is dry enough to work. Hopefully next week.

3. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

I'm not planting yet, but I did get it plowed up last week. I've gardened in the same spot forever, 30+ years, and break the plot up with a tractor using a disk and a 5 ft roto tiller. It had gotten to where the tiller wouldn't go over a few inches deep and the disk might get down 5 or 6 inches. I'd been meaning to find a single shovel breaking plow or a subsoiler to get down deeper, but never got around to it. Well last week I bought a subsoiler and ran it through the garden 4 times in about a foot wide grid. I went north and south, east and west and then Xed that at 45* angles. Ran the subsoiler right up to the crossbar, 22 to 24 inches deep. When I dropped the subsoiler and hooked up the 5 ft tiller to the tractor I expected it to run a little deeper than before, I didn't expect to have to raise it up to keep the dirt from running over the top of the tiller, but I did. I've always just dropped the tiller all the way down and never looked back, but I had to adjust the depth to keep from bogging down the tractor. It's actually hard to walk across the bone dry, but well broke up ground, going to be interesting to see how much different it is this year. Oh yeah, I did get to pick up several frontend loader buckets of rocks the subsoiler brought up, a few just stopped the tractor and I when I finally got them flipped up it was all the little 27hp John Deere wanted to carry them out.

4. mr4pt

mr4pt Well-Known Member

SWA
    Mine is tilled. Planting march 1

5. I am so jealous of you guys with big gardens. I have a great spot to build a garden.
    It is fenced in and has a hot wire. I dream about having a nice big garden.
    My problem is that time seems to dribble through my fingers.
    This year, I looks like it will be a few pots of herbs for my daughter to tend.
    Maybe I can get a few tomatoes in the ground....:rolleyes:

6. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I was able to till my back bed a week ago and filled it up with onion sets.

7. Buck-Ridge

JB there is time to start a garden this year. I don't plant most stuff till mid April. You've got 2 whole months to work up a spot.

8. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

I haven't started on mine yet but I hope to in the next few weeks weather permitting.

9. Gobbles

Gobbles Well-Known Member

Got my leaf lettuce, radishes, kale,spinach and carrots planted today planning on planting my brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage and romaine lettuce in a few days and then next weekend weather permitting i will plant corn

10. jaustin88

jaustin88 Well-Known Member

I have my onions, cabbage planted. Sweet potatoes started to make my slips.

11. ArkGirl

ArkGirl Well-Known Member

Got my 4 strand electric tape fence set up on the now doubled in size back to Eden method garden. I'll plant carrots first I think. (By Special request from the horses)

Can't wait to have twice as many tomato and pepper plants this year

12. jaustin88

jaustin88 Well-Known Member

Makes me hungry every year when i start planting.

13. We got a late start, but it is our first year for a larger garden. Today we planted two 20' rows of sweet corn (cause my daughter wanted to plant corn), 15' of vertical green beans, 20' of vertical crookneck squash. Tomorrow (after Easter supper) we are planting 20' of Okra, 20' of cucumbers, and a small pumpkin patch. Tomatoes go in as soon as i can.

SwampCat likes this.
  14. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

Last year was the first year I planted a garden, and that was only because my son wanted too. I think we went a little overboard this year. We planted 5 rows of corn probably 50' long. 2 rows of green beans 50' long. 32 tomatoe plants. 20' each of peas squash and okra 30' feet of carrots and 1 60' row of watermelons spaced about 8 " apart. Gotta get my electric fence up now and hoping for some rain tomorrow. Its dry here.

15. No-till Boss

No-till Boss Well-Known Member

Very good job parenting !

tmeredith likes this.
  16. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

He said we're gonna grow a cash crop this year.

WILDMAN44 likes this.
  17. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

harrison
    I done got one in the hollar.

JB Weld and tmeredith like this.
  18. Buck-Ridge

I worked from noon till 5 yesterday tilling my garden. It was hard as a rock. I guess because it was dry. I'll probably plant Monday.

19. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

Planted taters, cabbage, radishes and onions about 3 weeks ago. Corn ( 12 rows), White half runner beans (6 rows), lima beans(4 rows), Zipper Cream peas(4 rows), purple hull peas (8 rows) , squash ( 8 hills), peppers (8 plants), tomatoes(24 plants) and cucumbers (12 hills) all planted first of this past week. Only thing left is okra, still a little early for that. One thing I did this year is I spread the rows out extra wide, I've got lots of space and I'm tires of everything running together as it grows ,so 4 foot rows on peas and beans and lots of extra space around the squash and cucumbers. Only thing I didn't widen out was the corn, since it grows up and not out, I left it in 3 ft rows. Rows are 60 feet long.

20. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

Makes everything easier if you have plenty of room. I like to leave room to run my tractor and 5' tiller between my corn and peas or okra. That way, when I spray for broadleaf weeds in my corn, overspray doesnt kill my broadleaf plantings and when I spray for grass in my beans or squash, overspray doesnt get on my corn. Long rows make it easier, also. I plant with a 3 pt one row planter and it is just as easy to plant 250' rows as 50' rows. Same with cultivating with 3 pt cultivator.