Duck Call

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by longspurs, Jan 8, 2017.

1. longspurs

longspurs Super Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winne

Ok it's been years since I bought a new call and I love my single reed, but I've kinda got the urge to get a double reed. What's the best acrylic double reed today that won't stick?

2. crookedwillar

crookedwillar Well-Known Member

Hard to beat a Good Echo but the cheaper polycarbonate sound more like real ducks than acrylic to me in any brand and I too prefer single reed just my 2cents worth

3. flippinhntr

flippinhntr Well-Known Member

I am a huge RNT fan and only have RNT's on my lanyard, but do not buy their Alpha 2 dbl reed or the Macro Hen dbl. these calls do not sound good. Myself, I don't care for Echo calls, but a friend that I hunt with all the time has an Echo Meat Hanger dbl and it sounds very good.

4. willtim

willtim Well-Known Member

SC
    Timber Boss. Go see Eddie in Bald Knob.

5. longspurs

I'm an RNT man and these two were the ones I was lookin at. May not now.

6. longspurs

Who makes this call?

7. shakey

shakey Well-Known Member

ark
    Im pretty sure timber boss uses echo inserts.

8. flippinhntr

flippinhntr Well-Known Member

I don't know why but they just don't sound good. My son just traded an Alpha 2 for a Short Barrel. The A2 was brand new when he got it and it just never had a good sound. I bought a MacroHen a cpl years ago and got rid of it quick. Neither of them were very loud and just wasn't what we were looking for. Now their cheap line, Quackhead, has a great sounding poly dbl reed. It sounds very good for a $20 call.

9. willtim

willtim Well-Known Member

SC
    Eddie Leonard in Bald Knob. He does not use ECHO inserts.

10. Matt_C

Matt_C Member

Longspurs, I posted in the classified section about wanting trade or sell an echo meat hanger, it's a double reed. It sounds great, but could probably use a tuning. I've called in plenty of ducks with it but I'm looking to switch to their wooden timber single reed. It was a $140 call, been used 2 seasons and it's up for grabs if you're looking for a cheaper way to a good call

11. mingohunter

mingohunter Member

I like echo timber , elite cache(Brad Allen ) and haydel Cajun sqeal, just my 2cents

12. mingohunter

mingohunter Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. dryoga

dryoga Well-Known Member

I collect calls. Selecting a duck call is an individual thing. I buy every call made in Arkansas I can find whether it is an old call like a Taylor Made, or a new call from a call maker starting out. If possible, I will try and find one that I think I can blow that sounds good to me. If I were going to buy a call just to hunt with, I would go where several calls from different makers were available and blow a bunch of them (10+) to find one that suited me. To me, ever call is different. I mean from one RNT Alpha 2 to a different RNT Alpha 2. I used to go to different call maker's shop like Taylor, Twiddle, White and try several of their calls till I found one that sounded good to me. When I say I buy every Arkansas call I can find, I mean if I don't already have one in my collection. I am just not brand loyal when it comes to call. There many different elements that give a call its sound out side of the caller. Back in the day, I might try 15 Hambone Calls from Mr. Amaden in Hazen to find one I liked.

flippinhntr likes this.
  14. crackshot82

crackshot82 Moderator<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner<br>2007 Pho Staff Member

My RNT sounds good but sticks horrible. I quit carrying it because it's so bad. I'm prefer echo myself.

Nolan Emberton likes this.
  15. bullcreekboy

bullcreekboy Well-Known Member

Folks will laugh I'm sure, but I still use an old rich-n-tone 2, the ones that were 15 bucks at Wally World back in the day. When mine was stolen about 14 years ago, I bought a quackhead, but it sticks bad. I turned to eBay and paid $40 for a rnt2 still in the package.

JHS76 likes this.
  16. madduck87

madduck87 Well-Known Member

Elite Edge Double Reed

17. MerganzerIL

MerganzerIL New Member

All waterfowl single reed calls need tuning to get the best sound. There are some great call tuning instructive sites on the web.

18. wooducksooie

wooducksooie Well-Known Member

NEA
    Try Hobo. Good call with range.

19. LLGuide

LLGuide New Member

What is needed to convert an Echo Timber double reed to a single reed?

20. d2

d2 Well-Known Member

I'm a an Elite fan also, great calls...d2