Cultipackers, Do you use one?

Discussion in 'Quality Deer Management' started by firehog, Feb 27, 2017.

1. firehog

firehog Well-Known Member

Wondering who all uses a cultipacker and what the results are that you find from just dragging in plots verses packing? I've never used one, for years I have been the dragger finding a chainlink fence, old tires or maybe a cut ceder tree. I have nothing to compare to because I have always dragged my plots after sowing. Just wondering if anyone has any experience on comparison?

Here is a good article on the issue. Cultipackers for Food Plots - Quality Deer Management Association https://shar.es/1U1iIZ

2. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member<br>2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I have 2 rollers, one is 3' I'm building it for my garden/lawn, the other is 5' and doubles as aerator...when I plow the ground up to renovate the plot, I cast out the seed then roll it smooth, when I overseed, the spikes help get the seed into the soil. I built it out of a tall skinny galvanized well tank, welded 1" axles and bought 2 1" pillow block bearings, then welded bridge spikes on it. I can use it empty, or fill it to any relative weight degree with water.:biggrin:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017

3. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

I dont have one - I drag all manner of stuff over the plot. I have used one in the past. I have seen a noticeable difference when planting clover - better with a cultipacker. Not so much for wheat or soybeans

dogdoc likes this.
  4. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member<br>2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I've seen bed springs used, but they were pretty much phased out, not many left like the old timey ones.:biggrin:

5. CoyoteControlInc

CoyoteControlInc Well-Known Member

For small seeded plants such as clover or kale the cultipacker works good by not placing the seed too deep and firming the soil to prevent heavy rains from incorporating the seed deeper.

6. emerson

emerson Well-Known Member

I use one its a DIY model . Works good , helps best if a rain coming to stop the seeds from washing away .

7. WILDMAN44

WILDMAN44 Well-Known Member

Im sure it'd be nice to have one but they aren't absolutely necessary. If cut down 6-8 gum saplings and wrap a chain around them the half acre plots and drag an old cattle panel in the 3 acre plot.

8. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 Well-Known Member

Indiana
    I built my own cultipacker out of plastic culvert pipe and concrete with a pipe in the middle to act like a axel. I can tell a huge difference between plots that I used it on and plots that my cousin did not use one on. I normally just plant clover and it helps keep the seed in place when the rain comes. I am having to fix my frame on it because I hit a stump with it and bent it but I can not complain since I only have about $25 invested in it.

9. WILDMAN44

WILDMAN44 Well-Known Member

Post a picture of this if you don't mind.

10. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 Well-Known Member

Indiana
    Mine is very similar to this one. Only big difference is my frame is a little different but not much. Like I said very easy to make.
    attachment.jpg

11. crankman

crankman Member

IMG_1117.jpg ''' Yes This will be my first year using a cultipacker on my foodplot. I am liking the way it preps the ground and then after seeding I ran over it once to settle the seeds in. Will see how it works out soon.

firehog likes this.
  12. They are hands down the most underrated tool in the arsenal of food plots. We do not plant ANY type of plot here at MSU without using one.

firehog likes this.
  13. firehog

I found one finally that was heavy enough to pack good but still be pulled by a ATV. I was impressed with how clean the plot laid after going over it. I planted soybeans and Sunflowers and the ground was packed down good. Had a few good rains probably 7 inches total and I did not see any runoff valleys. Being on a ridge I have never seen that.

14. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

What kind did you get?

15. SwampCat

I would like to use one - especially for small seeds like clover. But dangit - I dont need one more piece of equipment I have to go back and get. I cut 16 ft cattle panels into two eight foot sections and wire two old tires to each one. They are cheap enough I can leave them at each food plot or portable enough I can drag them behind the seeder going from plot to plot.

16. You always need another piece of equipment Ned...always!

17. SwampCat

Yes, I like having all kinds of equipment. Just hate moving it - especially when I go over to my farm 10 miles away. Bad enough on the home ground when a round trip from the farther food plots to my house and back is an hour

18. I leave drags and older discs at the plots that are hard to get to as well. I've got an old box spring that has been in the woods a loonngggg time and use it every years lol.

19. dogdoc

dogdoc Well-Known Member

Mine roller is identical (culvert and concrete). I bought some bearings that would fit the 1 1/4" pipe (axle) and made a 3pt frame out of steel. Works like a charm.

Not needed for soybeans, wheat, etc. but almost essential for a good clover plot. I think i built mine for around $200 in materials, maybe a little more.

20. firehog

Good question, don't really know if it was home made or some company made it.

IMG_3198.JPG E IMG_3199.JPG

hawgpharm likes this.