Orange Collar on a Deer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Orange Collar on a Deer?

My buddy got a picture on his trail camera of a 4 pt. with an orange collar around his neck? Is this some kind of tracking device or somebody's pet? And can you shoot this deer? I know a 4pt. isn't legal but it would be for a youngster during the youth hunt. Just curious.

It's probably a hunter disguised as a deer, he then decided to put a orange collar around his neck hoping no one would shoot him.

Seriously though, think a collar around a deers neck means it's a pet, but if it is a pet wouldn't leash laws apply to that as well

Its a pet that was released, u can legally shoot it but come on. My grandpa had a doe for a couple of years and turned her loose with an orange collar. We saw her every year until last year. Shr was 12 last year, makes u wonder how old some of these deer really are

nick83 is online now Member
    2011 Turkey Contest Winner
    2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner
    i know a guy that lives around otto rd. that has a 4 pt that has a orange collar.

John Stiles is online now Ultimate Member
    2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Lightbulb

Somebody's pet. Not fair chase......but technically I reckon......but I wouldn't.

nick83 is online now Member
    2011 Turkey Contest Winner
    Just talked to him and it has gotten loose

Don't think it is the Otto Deer. This one was in North Central Arkansas

there was a doe on our lease back 7 years ago that had one on and we were trying to kill it to put it out of it misery. The collor was cutting into her neck and had to be making it hard on her to breath and eat. The next year we saw her again and she did not look well, we never got a shot at her and never saw her again. I felt sorry for her.

Did it look like this?

Kind of. Not a very good picture. This one was much looser fitting and it looks like it may have a transmitter on it. I know the game and fish track bears in our are but I didn't think they did on deer. Someone said they do that on occasion to track the range of the deer. I'll try and get the picture and post it on here.

Here is the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a dog collar on it to me. Got a fellow who live close by that has several deer he keeps that all have orange collars as such on them. This collar on a deer reminds me of something that happen about 8 years ago. This guy now has a pen he keeps them in for the reason of what happened told below, but back then he just let them run loose.

He had one 6 point that thought it was a dog. It was born & raised with his dogs & went everywhere they went. Dang deer done everything a dog did but bark. Rumor had it this deer could run rabbits with the best of them, just like the dogs. One day a call came over the fire department radio of a car wreck right about where this man lived. When everyone got there, here was a lady wrecked in the ditch, not hurt, but shaken up pretty good, telling a story of what had happen that was allmost unbeliveable. She was swearing to the state trooper that she had swerved to missed this buck deer that was chasing these 3 dogs for all he was worth trying to catch them. Then when she piped up & said it appeared the deer had a dog collar wrapped around his neck didn't help matters any either. Dog's being chased by deer, deer wearing dog collars, what was the poor trooper to think? The cop was about to hall this poor woman to the county jail for testing to see what kinda stuff she was on until some of the locals told the trooper that she more than likely saw what said she claimed!

Deer as pets is just plain stupid. Shoot him !!!

hunter_3780 is offline Select Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weatherman View Post
    please explain

Quote Originally Posted by The Weatherman View Post
    Its a button buck shoot it shoot it

Tony Harris is offline Super Moderator
    2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
    Saw a doe near Amagon that had an orange collar on and she was far enough away from houses that I don't think she was a pet.

STERRNO is online now Member
    2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
    2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
    Last year my mom and I were driving back from texarkana and we saw a doe with an orange collar on. It was standing on the side of the road with a dog it was a little after fulton. We looked at each other like did we just see what we thought we saw.

I used to have a pet doe and I kept an orange collar on her in case she ever got out. I had hoped folks would know it was a pet if it was to get out.

jas870 is online now Super Member
    2012-13 Bowhunting Contest Winner
    I know an old man that had a nice buck in a pen and he would a tually paint his horns orange. Some sucker snuck in there on night and shot it with a crossbow. And cut the pen and dug it out. What an idiot!

i have heard of people who have deer living as house pets, i dont agree with it. I dont agree with deer being kept in pens either.

I wouldnt shoot it.

I do wonder how well a pet deer adapts in the woods, probably pretty good-as deer are extremely adaptable to any environment. The other deer might think the pet deer is a little weird though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast