Paw Paw Trees?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paw Paw Trees?

Paw Paw Trees?

Anyone have any history deer hunting around Paw Paw fruit trees?

i lived in kansas as a child and my grandfather loved those things. we'd always walk the bnsf train tracks and fill a tote full of em'. i've never seen them down here though

Where in Kansas, Ozark??? I lived in Coffeyville until I was 11.

I know where 3 of them are just south of little rock. One was on the side of my shooting lane, never noticed deer messing with them. We lost Our lease a few years ago and haven't found another paw paw tree anywhere else.

John Stiles is offline Ultimate Member
    2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I went and picked a couple paw paw's at my inlaw's the other evening, but I dont think they were all the way ripe yet. I've never seen them before, but I'd always heard of them. They tasted pretty good! I cant see why a deer would pass them up. How long will they stay on the tree?

It's been my experience that once ripe the paw paws don't last long at all. Maybe a matter of a couple days.

Found a little grove of them this past weekend. They were loaded down with fruit. I have never hunted around them. Did some research on them & found mixed reviews. Some say that deer don't eat them while others say they do, just unclear from the sources how preferred they are by deer.

I kept some seeds out of those paw paws from the inlaws, and I plan to plant them on my place next year. Check back here in about 7-10 years, and I'll tell you if I have ever seen any deer eating them.

We've got tons of them on our place in Ozark County, MO, but I've never ACTUALLY seen a deer eat one. I've seen them on the ground with bite marks and such, but can't tell for sure that it was a deer. I do know they hang around them - they have trails and beds all through where most of ours are.

Pawpaws are a great treat, but rare. They have a shelf life shorter than bananas. Supposedly they are very healthy to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    We've got tons of them on our place in Ozark County, MO, but I've never ACTUALLY seen a deer eat one. I've seen them on the ground with bite marks and such, but can't tell for sure that it was a deer. I do know they hang around them - they have trails and beds all through where most of ours are.

Pawpaws are a great treat, but rare. They have a shelf life shorter than bananas. Supposedly they are very healthy to eat.

I'd love some seeds to plant around the place if you could get me some Wes. I've not eaten them much, but love the tast and texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbshunter View Post
    I kept some seeds out of those paw paws from the inlaws, and I plan to plant them on my place next year. Check back here in about 7-10 years, and I'll tell you if I have ever seen any deer eating them.
    I plan on the same myself. I gathered 4 of the fruits to try that and I have an ideal place on my land that is low lying & stays moist most of the time. I did read that they are not very successful for transplanting.

I did read that it has such a short shelf life & that's the reason it has never been commercialized. There was some deer sign around them but didn't look like any of the fruit that had dropped had been eaten the best I could tell. There was other food sources right there too....wild plums, honey locust, etc. Those paw paw trees & fruit look like something tropical. I think coons and possums probably do a number on them.

I read a couple of online sources that said deer have a much slower learning curve concerning food sources, and that basically if deer knew they could eat them they would. With the mindset of survival I would think a deer would readily eat what food sources are available in their core area, though I do understand the concept that if acorns are falling and that's their preference, by the time they slow down to eat the paw paw fruit it is too rotten.

If you've never eated one they are a treat. They do look and tast tropical almost a banana/mango taste to them and very creamy texture. Heck I don't care if the deer like them or not. I would like to have some for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked Spurs View Post
    I plan on the same myself. I gathered 4 of the fruits to try that and I have an ideal place on my land that is low lying & stays moist most of the time. I did read that they are not very successful for transplanting.
    Sounds like you did your research. I've got my seeds wrapped in a paper towel, in a ziploc bag, in the fridge. It said they have to be cold for something like 100 days. Then plant in a pot to start, and then plant in the ground later next year. I just googled "how to plant a paw paw."

Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    I'd love some seeds to plant around the place if you could get me some Wes. I've not eaten them much, but love the tast and texture.
    John, I got a few seeds for myself. If I get back out to the inlaws, I'll get you some. I'll let you know.

Sounds like you did your research. I've got my seeds wrapped in a paper towel, in a ziploc bag, in the fridge. It said they have to be cold for something like 100 days. Then plant in a pot to start, and then plant in the ground later next year. I just googled "how to plant a paw paw."

I've also never seen one grow in full sunlight. They've always been in moist shady areas.

John, I got a few seeds for myself. If I get back out to the inlaws, I'll get you some. I'll let you know.

Cool send me a pm if you get some.
    Last edited by johnf; 09-28-2010 at 10:58 AM.

John,

I don't know how soon I'll be back up in MO, but next time I do I'll try to snag you some fruit or seeds if there are any around.

hunter_3780 is offline Select Member
    2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner
    i dont know about deer but the bears tear them up around here

Quote Originally Posted by WillyB71 View Post
    Where in Kansas, Ozark??? I lived in Coffeyville until I was 11.
    lawrence, desoto, shawnee, lenexa, and the list goes on... mostly around johnson county. i was born in salem,ar but spent most of my childhood up there.

i would love to get my hands on one of these trees, it would bring back alot of memories

Have seen them on a lease I was in along the arkansas river down south close to mississippi river never did see deer come to them though at least while I was hunting near them did taste some and they tasted pretty good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast