Pecan Timber

Thread: Pecan Timber

Pecan Timber

I want to cut down several large Pecan trees around my house and was wondering if anyone had a use for them. I have around 10 or so close to my house ranging in size, but they are all at least 50'+. I never burn wood so I don't know if they would be good for that or not. I was just wanting a little more info before I decided to tackle this job and get some input.

elwaller is offline Select Member
    2009 Photo Contest Winner
    Makes excellent firewood, since it is a hardwood.Somebody that cuts lumber may be interested in them since it's lumber makes some fine furniture.

makes some fine smoking wood also

You can get top dollar for pecan wood. One BBQ joint I know of will buy pecan from wherever they can get it for $100/rick. The lumber is supposed to bring a good price, so you might try to find someone with a mill.

I'll ask Dad if he wants the logs, but he will probably say they are too far away. He has one of those portable saw mills and is always cutting something up into lumber.

Pecan is a great wood for turing on a lathe, it has some great colors in it and also is very good for making furniture with a natural finish.

I would like to have some to turn.

some bbqer wants it i promise,

Quote Originally Posted by REM870 View Post
    some bbqer wants it i promise,

Thanks for all the replies. I have a pretty decent size back yard but these trees are getting bigger and the smaller limbs are always falling in the yard.

Hillfarm Hunter, let me know what your dad says. A portable saw mill would be very handy to have!

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    Hillfarm Hunter, let me know what your dad says. A portable saw mill would be very handy to have!
    Will do, how big around are they? I used to have the only solid oak privacy fence in the neighborhood at my last house.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Farm Hunter View Post
    Will do, how big around are they? I used to have the only solid oak privacy fence in the neighborhood at my last house.
    Well this is only a best guess, but I would say the majority of them are 3'-4' in diameter and one is just huge. It's almost twice the size of all the others. I can get some better measurements tonight though.

Talked to Dad today, said he was too busy and it was too far. Thank's for the offer though. You should be able to make some money off of them if you can get in touch with the right folks.

Man I'd give anything to have some big trees like that growing in my yard. You sure you want to cut them?

I just talked to a guy that used to live at our house when he was growing up and he was telling me which trees his Dad had planted and which ones are wild. The wild one's are twice the size of the planted ones. Don't know if I want to cut them down now after hearing the history of them.

I have three huge pecan trees and two black walnut trees in my back yard. I love the shade during the heat it is always cool under them. The small limbs that are always falling off, I use in my smoker. I have a good supply of squirrels also, lol.