3 year rabies shot now legal in Arkansas

3 year rabies shot now legal in Arkansas

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/...=95265&catid=2

This is the first Ive heard of it but Im glad they changed the law.

Now if we could just get em to make it legal for pet owners to give the vaccine themselves instead of having to pay the vet to do it. Nothing against vets but when you have as many dogs as some of us do, it can get pretty expensive if you dont do alot of it yourself.

I agree. I have 8 dogs right now and its hard having to take 8 dogs to the vet to get a rabies shot.

Our vet said he hasn't heard anything about that. I may change, 3 years instead of every year, and we have 3 dogs, not as many as some of ya'll. But still.

John Stiles is online now Ultimate Member
    2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
    I thought ya could give them they just wouldn't verify in case of your dog biting somebody.

This is going to be a good change, but it appears that the health department has put some stipulations on it regarding when to give the 3 year vaccine. Please be patient with your veterinarians, we are all trying to figure out how to best approach and manage this new opportunity.
    Keep in mind guys with the hunting dogs, especially coon hunters. You really want to be careful about keeping high titers against Rabies in these dogs. We DO NOT want to start seeing Rabies in our domesticated animals.

Chris

You can owner vaccinate for Rabies, but the state just refuses to recognize the vaccination. It would be considered an unvaccinated animal and sets yourself up for a liability. That is state government for ya!

Chris

Back about 20+ years ago, you could buy a rabies vaccine and get the tag to prove it was vaccinated. I heard they made it law, when some people bought the shot never gave it to their dog and had rabies and bit someone. That's the story I heard. As far as 3 years rabies shot, I want to say either TX or FL or both have recognized it for a while now. I have in-laws that like to buy a dog keep it a year, and then give it to my boys. We had a border collie we got from them this spring and it had the three year rabies shot. It found it's way back to FL, after it decided to dig a hole in my carpet.

You can owner vaccinate for Rabies, but the state just refuses to recognize the vaccination.
    I know a feed store that sells the vaccine here but if I try to order it online there is a warning that its illegal to ship it to some states and Arkansas is one of em.

You really want to be careful about keeping high titers against Rabies in these dogs.
    So your saying that if you give it yourself to not give it very often?

It is not illegal to buy the vaccine in SINGLE doses in Arkansas from a feed store. Some companies sell the vaccine in multiple dose vials, that is the part that is not legal. This is the way it was explained to me, regarding the law.

No, what that meant was you might consider staying with the 1 year vaccines in higher risk dogs to keep their titers higher. You would want to make sure these dogs maintain a good high, protective titer by going ahead and vaccinating every year, even if doing yourself at home.