Rice bran feeder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rice bran feeder

I am trying to figure out something to put out for deer to feed rice bran in. Something that could be made easily and cheap, with a cover/roof to keep the rice bran dry and preferably off the ground. I have seen the live stock feeders and these would work, but are expensive and too big. I was trying to think of something smaller, home made, and more deer specific. Any ideas, experience or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

There's really not much to the ones that I've seen.
    If I think about it, I'll try and take my camera and run down the road to my buddy's deer lease and snap a pic or two. They have a few feeders like you are talking about and even one corn feeder set up with a way to set the timer off from inside the deer stand.

Some ideas..I like the last one..

Alright, stupid question from me>

Would you need to put in a mesh type bottom or something to keep it from mildewing/rotting, making the deer sick?

Im not being funny, Im looking at building one of these to put in my back yard.

possum is offline Moderator
    2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
    2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Winnerr
    2013-14 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
    The CP Feeder

I've seen one that was made out of 8 - 10 inch pipe. Put a T on it and tie it to a tree up side down. Put a bucket over the top to keep the water out. Put it high enough off the ground that the deer can eat out of it comfortably. The whole thing is about 4 foot tall.

Miller -Bowie Supply, in Texarkana, has some for sale, look like they be 4ft X 6ft.........made originally for feeding cattle, but the guy says they've sold several to deer hunters!! I think they are asking $300 a piece.............

Yeah you can build a 4x4 yourself for 50 dollars roughly.....Just a thought with money tight these days.

Thanks for the replies. These have given me some ideas.

I would go with the above cattle feeder style feeders. Go to Home Depot or Lowes. We usually have cull lumber for cheap in a bin. Buy some of that and go find you a cheap or free drum and cut in half. You could easily get out very cheap if you don't get in a hurry and shop around. You should ven be able to pick up cull shingles and osb for the roof. Or you could just use some old metal roofing. Hope this helps. Show us some pictures when you fnish.

Does the rice bran work as good as corn in a tube feeder (PVC pipe and wye)

Don't know. I have thought about that also. I have a pipe feeder I am going to try it in and let you know.

I have been told it doesn't cause it packs in and don't fall out the bottom.

Where is a good place around Little Rock to buy Rice Brand?

Rice Bran does not work well in a tube or barrell type feeder. It does tend to clog and does not "flow" like corn does.

You can buy rice bran at farmers co-op here in Benton, so I assume you could get it at the one in Little Rock.

Around here it is like cocaine for deer. They just can't stay away from it.

Razorback Feed and Seed in NLR has 40# bags of rice bran. Can't remember the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhead86 View Post
    Where is a good place around Little Rock to buy Rice Brand?
    RiverCity Seed Company in NLR $8.25 / 50 lbs. It comes out of Mcgee.

Go to McGehee and save some money. $100 and something for a tote bag.

Ive had good luck using it in a tube feeder. I dont have a turn out on the pipe I just tie a 5' piece of 4" sewer solid pipe to a tree and put a 4" sch. 40 cap on top and it works great for feeding bran. Just keep it about three inches off the ground.

heres mine

Quote Originally Posted by turkey pond bucks View Post

I have been told it doesn't cause it packs in and don't fall out the bottom.
    This is what happened when i tried it in my PVC feeder. Just packs too tightly

bett_lou is offline Moderator
    Campfire
    Humor & Games
    '07 Deer Hunting Contest Team Winner
    Just make sure the roof is not to close to the feeder so those big bucks can fit their horns in there. Always think positive my friend.

we pour ours on the ground. we put some out in a new spot that head net had any there ever before and my son got on the stand and it was not an hour and the deer found it......

RPS,
    I was looking at the pictures that were sent to you here. The problem is that, if you put bran in one of these and it rains, you have a mess of wet rice bran. "And deer will not eat wet rice bran"

I have been feeding rice bran for years and have come up with a gravity feeder that seems to work well. The feed tray is can be built to where it would be 30 to 36 inches off the ground. This will help in keeping the hogs out. Hogs are a real problem in South Arkansas where I hunt. I feel that I have designed something that will keep hogs from eating all my deer feed.

I have been feeding out of a sealed trough style feeder the past 3 years and will try to get pics of it also. You will be able to build one of these for a lot less then $100 bucks and it will last you for years.

I do not feed rice bran by itself. I blend a product called Bull Ration with whole corn and soybean mill, very high in protein. You can get all of this at Oakley Feed with locations in Beebe, and North Little Rock, or you may be able to find you local coop, or feed stores

My blend is:
    2- Bags or 80 lbs Bull Ration (has some rice bran already) $4.50
    2- Bags or 100 lbs Whole Corn $5.35
    1/2 bag or 50 lbs Rice Bran $7.00
    5th bag or 10 lbs Soy Bean Mill (47% protein) $14.00

Reason of the blend is so that your feed will flow through your feeder, and it is a very good for your deer’s digestive track. You can also add about 1 cup or 8 oz of stockman 4% mineral salt ($9.50 50 lbs bag) to the above blend. This will give them there minerals and vitamins. Very important during summer and late fall feeding to grow better horns on your bucks.

I have attached several pictures below. These are some older pics that I took when I blended corn with deer/elk pellets. Pellets got so high when corn went up and I changed my blend to what I stated above.
    If you need more or better pics let me know. I will be in the woods this weekend and I will try to take more and send later.

This is my first time on this site and I hope that these picturs come through.

Hope this helps.

bigkid3d44

Attachment 5496
    Attachment 5496
    Attachment 5497

heres one i made only cost about $30 kept feed dry even in all the rain in october.cant keep it full
    Last edited by rimfire; 11-22-2009 at 01:36 AM.

I tried looking at your Pics but they do not work can you reload them so I can see how your made your feeder

Quote Originally Posted by mkike123 View Post
    I tried looking at your Pics but they do not work can you reload them so I can see how your made your feeder
    x2

Here is one I made last year that is very much like the CP feeder plan that was posted.

I'd like to see one thats hooked up to a automatic feeder. so I could set the timer when I want it to feed.

Millenium makes a rice bran barrel feeder that works on a timer. It comes with a tripod and a bracket to mount to a tree. They had it at the big buck classic year before last when I was working at a differant booth. It has an augere and a way to keep the bran from packing up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast