Old lab

Thread: Old lab

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Old lab

I have a 14 year old lab that's just going down. Since the loss of my 15 year old lab in July 2015 he hasn't been the same. He gets around but not the best, he can't hold his poop, he eats, drinks, and loves to be loved on. He cannot hear, can see some, and recently over the week sometime it seems to be hard to breath. Gasping some, with a wheeze. It's going to be tuff on me personally to put him down. I thought around on my 15 year old and then came home one day and she passed. That's was tough. Now it's that time again. When does one know that it's best to do it?

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Trying to make a decision

I have a 14 year old lab that's just going down. Since the loss of my 15 year old lab in July 2015 he hasn't been the same. He gets around but not the best, he can't hold his poop, he eats, drinks, and loves to be loved on. He cannot hear, can see some, and recently over the week sometime it seems to be hard to breath. Gasping some, with a wheeze. It's going to be tuff on me personally to put him down. I thought around on my 15 year old and then came home one day and she passed. That's was tough. Now it's that time again. When does one know that it's best to do it?

Liked 432 Times on 339 Posts
    Likes Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrown View Post
    Most of us know that it's best to do it after that time has come. I always hope and pray they will pass peaceably in the night. It literally makes me sick taking one to the vet to be put down. I dont envy your decision.

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Don't wait. She's been too good to let her suffer. Letting her lingerie is only for your benefit, not hers.

5. Likes Triple Threat liked this post
    Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

When you think they are in more pain then you want to be in. It is your job to decide if they are hurting to much. Sorry to here your dog is in the bad shape.

7. Likes John Stiles liked this post
    truck24hr is offline Super Member
    2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
    Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
    Likes Given: 15

Sorry man. That's tough. Your pup's short on time, make it special. I'm sure she'd rather pass being loved on than suffocate alone while your working.

Best to ya

Liked 149 Times on 141 Posts

Big brown, you've done a amazing job getting two different labs to live to that age, it speaks very well of you.

10. Likes Triple Threat liked this post
    Liked 66 Times on 44 Posts
    Likes Given: 104

My feeling is that we tend to keep them going for us...not them. It's so hard to let go. But the thing I fear the most is waiting one day too long. That day where they suddenly decompensate and are clearly suffering. The humane end is our last gift to them.

12. Likes John Stiles, earl blevins liked this post
    John Stiles is online now Ultimate Member
    2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
    Liked 423 Times on 339 Posts
    Likes Given: 1034

Keeping him alive could be causing him to regret, be ashamed, long for the glory of his youth, just as you would be in his place! If you love him you'll end his suffering and let him go.....to dog's Heaven! Sorry, but it needs to be said.

14. Thanks earl blevins thanked for this post
    Liked 402 Times on 329 Posts
    Likes Given: 21

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5646.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	102146

John Stiles is online now Ultimate Member
    2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
    Liked 423 Times on 339 Posts
    Likes Given: 1034

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chitlin View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5646.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	102146
    Thanks, for the picture! I'm saving that!

Liked 67 Times on 45 Posts

dang onions

18. Likes Mr. Chitlin, Reaper22, quackandmild liked this post
    Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
    Likes Given: 71

I feel for you Big Brown. I've got one that's ten. He's been the best dog I've ever had. I have to pick him up sometimes to get him in the truck these days. There's a car commercial about a guy with some car and a lab. The dog starts out as a puppy and then gets old but the guy has the same car. I cry a little every time that commercial sneaks up on me. God bless you.

I know exactly how you feel. I had to let the vet put my dog to sleep this morning. It's not the phone call I was expecting to get. She had a tumor that they couldn't remove. She couldn't hold food down and she has lost so much weight she was skin and bones. I didn't want to do it but I know it was the best for her. She couldn't run and play all day because she didn't have the energy. I just knew it was what's best for her. That's how we have to look at it as do we want them to suffer just to have them a little longer or not let them be in pain.

21. Likes Triple Threat liked this post
    browning_gold_12 is offline Moderator
    Deer Hunting
    Trail Cameras
    '07 Deer Hunting Contest Team Winner
    2011 Turkey Contest Winner
    2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
    2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Winnerr
    2013-14 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
    AKH_MODERATOR.png
    Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
    Likes Given: 13