Cultipackers, Do you use one?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Wondering who all uses a cultipacker and what the results are that you find from just dragging in plots verses packing? I've never used one, for years I have been the dragger finding a chainlink fence, old tires or maybe a cut ceder tree. I have nothing to compare to because I have always dragged my plots after sowing. Just wondering if anyone has any experience on comparison?

Here is a good article on the issue. Cultipackers for Food Plots - Quality Deer Management Association https://shar.es/1U1iIZ

John Stiles is online now Ultimate Member
    2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
    Liked 423 Times on 339 Posts
    Likes Given: 1034

I have 2 rollers, one is 3' I'm building it for my garden/lawn, the other is 5' and doubles as aerator...when I plow the ground up to renovate the plot, I cast out the seed then roll it smooth, when I overseed, the spikes help get the seed into the soil. I built it out of a tall skinny galvanized well tank, welded 1" axles and bought 2 1" pillow block bearings, then welded bridge spikes on it. I can use it empty, or fill it to any relative weight degree with water.

Last edited by John Stiles; 02-27-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Liked 432 Times on 339 Posts
    Likes Given: 4

I dont have one - I drag all manner of stuff over the plot. I have used one in the past. I have seen a noticeable difference when planting clover - better with a cultipacker. Not so much for wheat or soybeans

John Stiles is online now Ultimate Member
    2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
    Liked 423 Times on 339 Posts
    Likes Given: 1034

Quote Originally Posted by SwampCat View Post
    I dont have one - I drag all manner of stuff over the plot. I have used one in the past. I have seen a noticeable difference when planting clover - better with a cultipacker. Not so much for wheat or soybeans
    I've seen bed springs used, but they were pretty much phased out, not many left like the old timey ones.

Liked 191 Times on 179 Posts

For small seeded plants such as clover or kale the cultipacker works good by not placing the seed too deep and firming the soil to prevent heavy rains from incorporating the seed deeper.

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use one its a DIY model . Works good , helps best if a rain coming to stop the seeds from washing away .

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
    Likes Given: 1

Im sure it'd be nice to have one but they aren't absolutely necessary. If cut down 6-8 gum saplings and wrap a chain around them the half acre plots and drag an old cattle panel in the 3 acre plot.