Boomerang Chicken

Boomerang Chicken

I just read an article that said:

"The USDA is now permitting chickens slaughtered in the US & Canada to be processed in China and then exported back to the United States."

I guess it was inevitable that Tyson (and they aren't the only ones) would find a way to cut costs even more that working the crews they currently have (enough said).

Anyone else think letting the Chinese, with their stellar record in Health & Safety, handle our food supply is a bad idea?

At what point does the exporting of US jobs overseas to boost the bottom line stop?

Terrible idea, that's why I take care of my own meat. Haven't bought any in almost a year. I don't blame them for going over seas. Businesses have been over regulated and over taxed in this country for a long time. If I started a company and had to move over seas to be able to manufacture things cheaper and stay competitive I would do it too. I know of an example from an American Trap manufacturer. He wanted his traps fabricated in the U.S. He got lots of quotes and the cheapest he could get them mass produced in the states would force him to sell the trap for over $20 a piece. All of his major competition has theirs manufactured over seas and sells them for around $15 a trap. If he was to avoid being undersold by almost 25% out of the gate he had to have his equipment manufactured over seas. If your going to get angry about U.S. companies moving jobs over seas get angry at our government and the unions.

It is hard to believe that would be cost effective in any way?

It is just crazy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JB Weld View Post

It is just crazy!

That was my first thought; however, I am sure they have ran the numbers and it is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Lungbustr05 View Post
    Terrible idea, that's why I take care of my own meat. Haven't bought any in almost a year. I don't blame them for going over seas. Businesses have been over regulated and over taxed in this country for a long time. If I started a company and had to move over seas to be able to manufacture things cheaper and stay competitive I would do it too. I know of an example from an American Trap manufacturer. He wanted his traps fabricated in the U.S. He got lots of quotes and the cheapest he could get them mass produced in the states would force him to sell the trap for over $20 a piece. All of his major competition has theirs manufactured over seas and sells them for around $15 a trap. If he was to avoid being undersold by almost 25% out of the gate he had to have his equipment manufactured over seas. If your going to get angry about U.S. companies moving jobs over seas get angry at our government and the unions.
    That philosophy is true only if we understand and agree that we are going to eventually average our standard of living with the same 3rd world countries we export our manufacturing jobs to.

If the new standard for US wages is a guy who lives in a hut in India/China/Bangledesh/Vietnam, etc, works for $20/month, with no health benefits or retirement, we are in great shape.

I agree there have been widespread abuses in labor unions for decades in this country, but except for monopolistic service industries (that you can't export) like railroads, other transportation services, and construction unions, most of them have improved.

Over regulation and taxes are the least of the problem, but it makes a great no brainer sound bite if that's matches your politics.

US businesses always finding the lowest manufacturing cost overseas, then bringing back here for sale, is long term suicide for our economy, but eventually, when everyone has equal wages and customer markets world wide, it won't matter.

Check to see what % of your ride is imported from overseas, and it's getting higher every day:

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/MadeInAmeri...-made-13795239

Quote Originally Posted by Lungbustr05 View Post
    I agree with you on growing your own. in about 3 years I will be able to do that. I already eat 2 deer a year, but look forward to raisng most of the rest of it.

explain to me how it is less expensive to send chickens from the US to China, back to US CHEAPER ?

all I can think of, is that either tax breaks of Govt subsidies ....

WillyB71, I agree that the unions improved things. I think they were even necessary when they came to be. For the last 50 years or so the only thing I can see that they have been good at is getting people more money for less work. As far as my theory on over taxation I get that from the research showing the top combined federal and state corporate tax rate coming in at about 40%. Not to mention the added cost that the Sorbanes-Oxley Act created for large publicly traded companies. My research showed that the larger publicly traded companies were spending up to 6% of their profits just to comply with SOX. I am not saying that you are wrong. I stopped my research with corporate taxes and the SOX ACT. If there is more to it ( and I bet there is a lot more) please fill me in. I'm always up for learning something new. Punch line politics have never been my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JB Weld View Post

It is just crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by stealthycat View Post
    explain to me how it is less expensive to send chickens from the US to China, back to US CHEAPER ?

all I can think of, is that either tax breaks of Govt subsidies ....
    It seems to me that any monetary advantage would be negated by the loss of product and/or shipping cost, you would think that they would lose 1/10 of the live product just in transport. Chickens are what about $6.00 at the most, cleaned and ready to cook. Factor in brood cost, feed, and the other cost of production (raising) then round trip shipping plus processing. Somewhere in all that the profit should get eaten up.

luckless is online now Member
    Forum Sponsor
    2011 Turkey Contest Winner
    2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by tracytqrc View Post
    It seems to me that any monetary advantage would be negated by the loss of product and/or shipping cost, you would think that they would lose 1/10 of the live product just in transport. Chickens are what about $6.00 at the most, cleaned and ready to cook. Factor in brood cost, feed, and the other cost of production (raising) then round trip shipping plus processing. Somewhere in all that the profit should get eaten up.
    Them chinamen must work pretty darn cheap, reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by tracytqrc View Post

The deal was sending slaughtered chickens (frozen?) to china for processing, then shipment back to the US. Still makes no sense & I for one, don't want to have anything to do with the Chinese handling my food. USDA inspection is a hit or miss thing over here (mostly miss), but it keeps at least a vague threat of losing your license in front of domestic food processors. No much of that going on in 3rd world countries that have everyday activities that make our worst corruption look like jaywalking.

How can it be cheaper to ship dead chickens to china, to be cut up, then ship them back? Something in this story sucks.

American chickens are shipped to China and sold at a premium to the Chinese public....
    Chinese chickens fed on the Lord knows what... are killed, processed and sent here under the "Made in America" brand and sold at our market price......
    Someone is making a fortune...........