Quantcast
what do you look for in horse hay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what do you look for in horse hay

What do you look for when you buy good horse hay. Timothy, Orchard grass, Clover. Putting in 25 acres of hay field and spending the $ for good quality hay. Just want to know what yall look for.

I like Bermuda , field we cut is mixed oats and bermuda , makes good hay . Took a few years but it all comes back on its own now , run fertilizer over it in spring and let'er go .

I would stick with Timothy and Orchard Grass... Bunch of people think horses need alfalfa and its not really good for horses, plus the blister beetles will kill horses.
    Just good quality grass hay is fine for 95% of the horses, a really good grass hay should bring $7.500 per bale. We ran into some problems with Bermuda a few years back, it has a mold from when it had grown and was pretty toxic, the grower ended up have to spray fungicide on the growing grass to fix the problem.

Tifton 44

Looking at a mix of orchard, timothy and the red clover.

Common Bermuda grass makes better hay than Tifton. Common is softer & more weather tolerant. I raised lots of hay on my farm when I had cattle sold a lot to horse people.. Orchard is good but don't do as well during hot weather.

I try to bale a bermuda/mixed grass for our horses. I dont do anything special, and our horses work for theyre keep. If my field of bermuda dont make, they just get cow hay.

We go with the Bermuda rye grass mix covers all seasons plus usually get an extra cutting of hay

Common Bermuda is good but will never never come close to matching tifton on yields.

I think all your grass depends on your location an grounds shape. We have creek bottom ground on one farm an it's unreal then we have hill ground that its usually off on yield from the creek

Doug Hodges is offline Premium Member
    2011 Turkey Contest Winner
    2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by yarnammurt View Post
    Looking at a mix of orchard, timothy and the red clover.
    That's a good choice. It wouldn't hurt to have Bermuda mixed in. The first cutting would be low in Bermuda. The next cuttings would have an increase. I am feeding orchard, Bermuda and red clover mix first cutting and it's mostly orchard.

Bermuda or you'll be sorry in south

Common or tifton. World feeder might be worth a look too.

Talking to the U fo A, and might go with Teff

Talking to the U fo A, and might go with Teff
    Working up 25 acres every year sounds like a pain unless you've got great equipment.

I got a couple good tractors and equipment. I've got good ties in south Tx can sell all the hay I can get down there. Right now Tifton 44 is $12 a bale. Just looking for a good horse hay crop. I can rotate in Ryegrass.

I got a couple good tractors and equipment. I've got good ties in south Tx can sell all the hay I can get down there. Right now Tifton 44 is $12 a bale. Just looking for a good horse hay crop. I can rotate in Ryegrass.
    Tifton is 12$ delivered?

Problem with rotating in rye grass would be too late to plant the teff after baling the rye grass.

I've got several bales of rye grass Bermuda mix 4x5 if anyone needs any or know of anyone got 95 rolls in barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerquack2K View Post
    Tifton is 12$ delivered?

Problem with rotating in rye grass would be too late to plant the teff after baling the rye grass.
    No that's not delivered. $1.50 mile for delivery. The Teff can go in after fear of frost. Could you just over seed in late march with the Teff.

No that's not delivered. $1.50 mile for delivery.
    12 bucks for square hay?

Why would you not want that?

My father-in-law works for Valero in South Texas can sell 800 bale at a time of good clean horse hay to one guy, He uses 3000+ a year. So I need a quality hay

We've sold tens of thousands of bales of tifton to PRCA cowboys, race breeders, show people, etc. no telling what you could sell if you actually shipped and brokered the stuff.

Good horse hay is about keeping it clean, proper nutrition, then bailing it right.....

That's the key, We have the means to water if it gets to dry, A good baler, Good equipment. And starting on a 60x100 barn to house the hay. What to they say go big or go home, and I never go home.

How you going to handle the hay?

I know where some clean Bermuda squares are fertilized sprayed the who deal. How much he give for a semi load were in Paragould AR

Quote Originally Posted by Powerquack2K View Post
    How you going to handle the hay?
    We have a grapple and accumulator.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr View Post
    I know where some clean Bermuda squares are fertilized sprayed the who deal. How much he give for a semi load were in Paragould AR
    What are you asking a bale

Usually get 7 out of barn

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr View Post
    Usually get 7 out of barn
    Is it Tifton, or common?

Ill have to ask my dad I can't remember we have some of both. Idk what he put in the barn this year we rolled some up but ill check.

Common Bermuda or possibly wrangler, unless you want to go with a hybrid. Then it'll need to be sprigged. Nothing wrong with common, does yield a little less but not terribly under high fertility. If you can water it and you don't mind spending the money on fertilize you can do very well with it. 10 to 12 tons an acre is pretty easy to do with water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast