legal firearms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: legal firearms

legal firearms

I don't know if this has been addressed or not but when I searched the threads I couldn't find any answers regarding my question.

1. Are fully automatic weapons legal to use while deer hunting in Arkansas? I could not find any laws or rules within the handbook that would imply they are illegal but our firearm guidelines are somewhat vague.

2. If they are legal does anybody actually use them or know anyone that does? I couldn't imagine the damage it would inflict on a deer or the safety of fellow hunters but I do think it would be a useful tool in certain deer driving situations.

3. If you or someone you know uses them what are/were the results/outcomes of the use of such weapon while deer hunting.

4. I do not own a fully automatic weapon or intend to use one, I only noticed there are no obvious laws against it and it got me to thinking which lead to these questions.

Illegal. It's in the big book we don't get to see. U think that little pamphlet at walmart is all the rules? Not hardly

....back to the bloodtrail

that's a pretty big deal, if it were really against the law it should be in the book distributed to the public

1 - Yes they are legal. Fudds will tell you they are not legal but the only restrictions for deer are ammo (no FMJ), caliber (.22 or larger), type of firearm (shotgun only Zones) and barrel length (in handguns). Fudds will tell you that there are magazine restrictions in Arkansas (there are no mag restrictions). Fudds will also tell you that suppressors are illegal to hunt with but they aren't.

2 - Yes, I know a couple of people that hunt with M16's.

3 - Out come is a dead deer if they get a shot. They put them on semi-auto and fire one shot per trigger pull just like you do with a standard AR15 or any other semi-auto rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by green_head_getter View Post
    Illegal. It's in the big book we don't get to see. U think that little pamphlet at walmart is all the rules? Not hardly

Just for reference, here's the wording on prohibited firearms copied directly out of the "big book" as you call it, also known as the "Arkansas State Game and Fish Commission Code Book".

CERTAIN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION PROHIBITED DURING MODERN GUN
    DEER SEASONS
    10-12 (A) It is unlawful to hunt deer during statewide modern gun deer seasons with:
    • Prohibited muzzleloading firearms (Code 06.03);
    • Any .410 shotguns using ammunition other than slugs;
    • Any shotguns using shot smaller than No. 4 buckshot;
    • Handguns having barrels shorter than 4 inches using conventional
    straight-wall cased handgun calibers less than .357 caliber or
    bottleneck-case handgun calibers less than .22 caliber;
    • Rifles and handguns using rimfire cartridges in compliance with Code
    06.11;
    • Any centerfire rifle or handgun smaller than .22 caliber.
    (B) It also is unlawful for any person to hunt deer during modern gun deer seasons in
    Deer Zones 4, 4B, 5, 5B with any firearms other than the following:
    • Shotguns (.410 or larger) with slugs only;
    • Legal muzzleloading long guns (Code 06.03); • Handguns having barrels between 4 and 10 inches in length and
    chambered specifically for straight-wall centerfire cartridge cases and
    hunting with lead and, lead alloy, soft-nose and/or hollow-point bullets
    no less than .30 caliber.

Handguns having barrels between 4 and 10 inches in length and chambered specifically for straight-wall centerfire cartridge cases and
    hunting with lead and, lead alloy, soft-nose and/or hollow-point bullets no less than .30 caliber.

I have lost count of how many times I've been told I can't hunt with my pistol in Zone 4. I don't even argue anymore just smile and go on.

Where can one of these "big books" be found?
    Seems like it would be a useful resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Arkansas Hunting

Thanks!

Not to mention what all you have to have and do to own a full auto weapon...legally that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chitlin View Post
    1 - Yes they are legal. Fudds will tell you they are not legal but the only restrictions for deer are ammo (no FMJ), caliber (.22 or larger), type of firearm (shotgun only Zones) and barrel length (in handguns). Fudds will tell you that there are magazine restrictions in Arkansas (there are no mag restrictions). Fudds will also tell you that suppressors are illegal to hunt with but they aren't.

2 - Yes, I know a couple of people that hunt with M16's.

3 - Out come is a dead deer if they get a shot. They put them on semi-auto and fire one shot per trigger pull just like you do with a standard AR15 or any other semi-auto rifle.
    I always heard silencers were illegal to hunt with and then I saw guns and ammo tv and they were talkin bout what states allowed silencers for hunting. Arkansas was not.one of.those states.

Just for reference, here's the wording on prohibited firearms copied directly out of the "big book" as you call it, also known as the "Arkansas State Game and Fish Commission Code Book".
    Guess I may be wrong on that one. Just always heard u couldnt and heard u couldnt use supressors. Never really looked it up but assumed it was in the "big book" I call it this because I have had it whipped out on me before. And let me tell u...it is a "big book" and not even in that book could he prove that turkey hunting was prohibited on that rest area

I always heard silencers were illegal to hunt with and then I saw guns and ammo tv and they were talkin bout what states allowed silencers for hunting. Arkansas was not.one of.those states.

I'll give you a friendly word of advice... Don't depend on Guns and Ammo TV for info on federal or state gun laws.

I'll give you a friendly word of advice... Don't depend on Guns and Ammo TV for info on federal or state gun laws.
    WORD!

Sent on my SAMSUNG from

So you are saying guns and ammo tv won't stand up as legal precedent in a court of law? I learn something new on this forum every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Arkansas Hunting
    Last edited by 1cam; 11-08-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Never said I was but who hunts with a supressor anyway. Just made me think theres probably a reason for that.

Never said I was but who hunts with a supressor anyway. Just made me think theres probably a reason for that.

There are only 2 reasons why anybody would hunt with a supressor.....1) They are where they shouldn't be, and 2) They are doing something they shouldn't be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner97 View Post
    There are only 2 reasons why anybody would hunt with a supressor.....1) They are where they shouldn't be, and 2) They are doing something they shouldn't be doing.
    So much fail in these 2 posts. It's pathetic to think you are gun owners and consider someone that owns and hunts with a 100% legal device as only doing something illegal.

Do you consider all bowhunters as poachers? They must be doing something illegal since they are choosing to hunt with a device that makes no noise.

Looks like GHG has been called out by Mr C for making his original incorrect statement in post #2 and is now trying to save face by insulting an entire group of class 3 owners that takes the time and expense to jump through the loops to own a class 3 item.

There's an old saying that sometimes it's better to keep quiet and let people think you are a fool rather than to speak up and remove all doubt.
    Last edited by 1cam; 11-08-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Another reason may be because you kind of want to save your hearing.

I use one and my wife uses one.

Uhm....I would love to hunt with a suppressor for the fact that it suppresses noise, i dont know how much noise they reduce but i would figure they were less likely spook game and no ringing ear's after a shot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast