2014 turkey season

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2014 turkey season

Just looked at the 2014 season dates. April 19th-May 4th. What are your thoughts and opinions?? I know i heard very little gobbling action after the first weekend. But I still had several oppurtunties, just had to sneak up on them! I did however see a ton of jakes last year. Maybe things are trending up

I got lucky and killed two big 'uns in '12, so I let the area sit last year, because those were the only two I heard gobbling that spring. When I was looking for a deer I shot during ML season, I found one sitting up in a tree. Saw him later that day on the ground, and he looked 5 feet tall. Saw a hen on the other side of the feeder field a few days later, moving my blind.

He's in the same spot where I got one of the other ones last year; I'm looking forward to getting a shot at him this spring.

This season that completely overlaps Missouri's is killing me. I dont know if I'll hunt AR at all this spring, but I dont have a plan yet.
    I think the turkeys in NWA are doing better, but we're still a long ways from being where we were 10-12 years ago.

I think G&F is confusing the deer management threads on this forum with turkey management. They are reading about folks wanting to shorten the length of deer season and move it later in the year - they must have thought we meant turkeys. Did they change it to a one bird limit like folks are advertising with the bucks?

The Arkansas season doesn't bother me too bad. Gives me time to hit 2-3 other states before our season starts and believe it or not I've had really good success in Arkansas even with the late opener

turkeyhunter is offline Premium Member
    2006 Team Turkey Hunting Contest Winner
    Arkansas turkey season sucks!!! More turkeys to come but it has nothing to do with moving the seasons around it has to do with good hatches.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyhunter View Post
    Arkansas turkey season sucks!!! More turkeys to come but it has nothing to do with moving the seasons around it has to do with good hatches.
    The problem is - when (or if) the turkeys do make a comeback due to more favorable nesting weather - G&F will take credit for the increase in population due to them shortening the season.

turkeyhunter is offline Premium Member
    2006 Team Turkey Hunting Contest Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampCat View Post
    The problem is - when (or if) the turkeys do make a comeback due to more favorable nesting weather - G&F will take credit for the increase in population due to them shortening the season.
    I will be the first to tell them they are full of it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arkrem870 View Post
    The Arkansas season doesn't bother me too bad. Gives me time to hit 2-3 other states before our season starts and believe it or not I've had really good success in Arkansas even with the late opener
    I haven't even hunted in AR last 2 or 3 seasons but have put in 20 or so days in all the states around us.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampCat View Post
    I think G&F is confusing the deer management threads on this forum with turkey management. They are reading about folks wanting to shorten the length of deer season and move it later in the year - they must have thought we meant turkeys. Did they change it to a one bird limit like folks are advertising with the bucks?
    Now that was funny....SC

I wrote them a letter expressing my dislike for such a late season. The agfc sucks and most of us hate that they're so dang stupid! I guess we can all just become poachers. I hate any government agency anyway. They can't do anything right. I'm gonna have to travel just to enjoy what I have in my own area! Freaking idiots!

Davglo35, to say the AGFC is a bunch of idiots is kinda silly. All those wildlife biologists, they didn't get that degree from walmart. Just because they are using the knowledge and research they have to make educated decisions about our hunting season dates doesn't make them idiots. Im not trying to be a stick in the mud but i a little upset reading some of the bad "Bad AGFC" posts. The biologists making the recommendations for season dates spend a lot more time in the woods than me and you. Cut them some slack, you can't make chicken salad outta chicken crap

Sent from my iPhone using Arkansas Hunting

Biologists don't create the season structure they make suggestions that may or may not be considered......

Hence my post saying them "making recomendations" on season dates....

The scope of things which cause the issues is very large and changes from place to place for untold reasons in short distances. Its next to impossible to come up with a blanket policy even for a single region. Its very easy for us to see faults in plans in our individual areas. Much more complicated than most realize.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Arkansas Hunting mobile app

They don't spend more time out there than I do! They have no clue what's in my area! The season starting on April 19 is idiotic I don't care what you say! I would bet a 1000 bucks not one biologist has ever set foot where I hunt. I am a turkey hunter and season is TOO LATE !!!!

Best thing to ever happen to other states game departments is the agfc!

Problem is, there are a bunch of us they have to try to satisfy. There are folks like me that believe (rightfully so) that the decline in the turkey population has been due to poor nesting weather and predation, and the late season would have no effect on either. But, there are also a lot of folks that believe a later season will somehow cause the hens to be more prolific. They have to answer to a lot of folks and they can't do it. In my opinion - G&F is not proactive - they are reactionary - they feel they must do something after the fact, even if it is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by egb1491 View Post
    Hence my post saying them "making recomendations" on season dates....

I believe the biologists in the past have been ignored in the past? I distinctly remember the closing if fall turkey season was directly against their wishes.

Dang this sounds like the waterfowl forum. If y'all don't like the decisions the AGFC makes then start going to all the public meetings they have and make some educated responses to their policies. Come in there armed with some facts and data that would prove contradictory to the policies. Going in there calling them idiots or they don't know "your" woods would not be benefical to your case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast