Is it legal to remove antlers from a road kill buck?

Is it legal to remove antlers from a road kill buck?

I know some do and some don't what's the official word on this?

15.03 ANTLER REQUIREMENTS 04-98 It is unlawful to remove the antlers from the carcass of a buck deer prior to checking the deer using an official wildlife check method. PENALTY: Class 1

Straight from the agfc code book. If you want the antlers, legally you have to tag and check it.

Quote Originally Posted by grits and gravy View Post
    15.03 ANTLER REQUIREMENTS 04-98 It is unlawful to remove the antlers from the carcass of a buck deer prior to checking the deer using an official wildlife check method. PENALTY: Class 1

Straight from the agfc code book. If you want the antlers, legally you have to tag and check it.
    Does that really apply to roadkill though?

I think its fine, one of the local game wardens and I have a race to see who gets the antlers first.

But not in Texas is criminal.

I picked up a road kill yesterday, it was crippled before being hit had part of a hoof missing and healed over. The antlers still have dried velvet on them.

A WO will issue you a transfer tag if YOU hit the deer. This will allow you to take it to a processor and do whatever you want with it. Not sure about a random one that someone did a hit and run on. I've seen a few missing their headgear on the side of the road though! I know for a fact that you can't remove antlers from a dead elk on the Buffalo!

That does not apply to road kill deer

Sent from my iPhone using Arkansas Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Deerinthawoods View Post
    A WO will issue you a transfer tag if YOU hit the deer. This will allow you to take it to a processor and do whatever you want with it. Not sure about a random one that someone did a hit and run on. I've seen a few missing their headgear on the side of the road though! I know for a fact that you can't remove antlers from a dead elk on the Buffalo!
    you can't even take sheds off of federal land along the Buffalo

You say that it does not apply to roadkill, but there is not an exception written into the law. The roadkill excuse is what every poacher says when they get caught with several sets of freash antlers with no tags on them.

Quote Originally Posted by brushcreek View Post
    you can't even take sheds off of federal land along the Buffalo
    Learned that one the hard way. Luckily they ended up only issuing a warning. You can't even take a rock, a plant, nothing out of that park but the fish you catch and the game you harvest. You also can't use live bait unless it was obtained from within the park.

I stopped in December last year to pick up a fresh road kill for trapping purposes. County Sheriff pulled up and told me that legally I couldn't take it. He may wanted it or knew someone who did I don't know but I didn't argue...

Quote Originally Posted by grits and gravy View Post
    You say that it does not apply to roadkill, but there is not an exception written into the law. The roadkill excuse is what every poacher says when they get caught with several sets of freash antlers with no tags on them.
    I dont know for sure either way, but it just would seem ridiculous.
    I know when my dad hit a deer, he reported it to the police for insurance. They told him he could keep it, and the officer also mentioned that they had a list of families that would take the deer if we didnt want it.

Call and ask em I think they will let you have them - you dont check sheds when you pickem up either - I ran over one once called G and F - they told me I could have it - I declined told them someone else could pick it up - but it was still there the next day . I know others that have called them and they always let folks have em - better safe than sorry though

I picked up a big 9 one year in maumelle and just called game and fish and told them and they wrote me down on a list that it was roadkill and that was that till someone stole the antlers and meat from my ice chest that night!!!

I picked a roadkill deer in March. Just called AGFC, they took down my name and address and told me I was good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AR Coon Hunter View Post
    I know some do and some don't what's the official word on this?
    Everything is legal UNTIL you get caught! Saw them horns off quick

Sent from this phone in my hands

Call the AGFC in Little Rock and tell them you found a fresh road killed deer and hate to see it go to waste.

They will take your name and number, where it was killed, and tell you go ahead take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerinthawoods View Post
    That is because the FEDS are invovled with the Buffalo, you cant pick up sheds or anything legally.

John Stiles is offline Ultimate Member
    2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
    I generally pick up the parts of meat that are still good....don't much care about the antlers!