Rex hancock black swamp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rex hancock black swamp

Anyone who has hunted there if you dont mind sharing some info on the place id appreciate it. Goin for first time this year with a friend for the muzzleloader hunt. We will be camping there so if any one has any advice as to where we should camp please let me know plus any other experiences yall have had. Im not attempting to do any internet scouting just want a little heads up for what i should expect im pretty excited heard there are some brutes down there

Good camping areas (primitive) at all the ramps.. I'd take a boat and hunt from the river (park boat and walk in) if it's high enough.. If not there are plenty of places to walk in.. Take a thermacell and 5 gallons of skeeter dope..

Rex hancock black swamp

Ya I'd say the same. East of Gregory has good landing and lots of camping room. Having a boat would get you to remote ridges that you couldn't walk to or carry a deer out. There's a lot of public ground around the swamp.

x2 on the skeeter dope, and make sure if you find a place a week or two before the hunt by boat that you have a backup plan in case the river falls out. The year we went we scouted by boat and by the next weekend you couldnt even launch a boat at grinnel slough. FYI the skeeters were so thick that weekend I wore a rain coat to keep em off of me.

Thanks for the advice i was wondering if i needed to take a boat or not and a thermacell is at the top of my list for things to buy for deer season.

Here is a more specific question i have about the swamp. I have an old side lock with iron sights, is it very likely ill be in a spot where i need a scope or is it thick enough ill only need iron sights?

Iron sights is all you'll need over there..

Rex hancock black swamp

I literally grew up on that area, my dad managed it for over ten years, excellent hunting and fishing. Take lots of skeeter spray and if its warm be prepared for some encounters with snakes. Camp at the end of county road 752 near the boat ramp and hunt along the river, I was down there a week ago and there was plenty of water in the boat trail, as long as we keep gettin rain as normal you shouldn't have any problems gettin anywhere you need to go.

Rex hancock black swamp

Oh and x2 on the iron sights, long range shots in that area are few and far between

So golden09 your saying i should probably bring a boat to get around if we get normal rainfall?

Rex hancock black swamp

It won't hurt to have it, it will definitely increase your options as far as where you can hunt, as said above, you'll be able to get to some of the ridges a lot easier, you can walk in to a lot of places there but so can everyone else, and its usually a pretty popular place during deer season.

Ok thanks and im guessin they have a pretty high deer pop. With the two deer limit and no antler restrictions. Is this an accurate assumption

Rex hancock black swamp

It's pretty healthy, usually a pretty quality heard too

Ok thanks for all the info i started to drive down and look around today just from the road since i had my two yr old but we didnt even make it through jonesboro and she was whinning so i decoded a two hour drive wasnt in our best interest today

Rex hancock black swamp

No problem, hope you find a big one in there

Some of the biggest bucks in the state hang out there.

Those skeeters are big enough to screw a chicken standing flat footed. Those little therma cells weren't made for those type of skeeters. It's like an sex potion, they just land on it.

If you bowhunt & can get away for a couple weekends to scout, there is a chance of hooking up with a dandy.

Not saying that a boat doesn't come in handy on certain places on this area but some of my most successful hunts on the wma have been by walking in 3/4-1 mile which is way beyond the distance most hunters like to walk :) My suggestion would be to call the brinkley regional office and find out who the area manager is and call him for some pointers ;) Good luck this year!

Not sure where you live but last year i called him and he opened my eyes to place i never even gave any thought (U of A Pine Tree) and thanks to his helpful tips I managed to arrow a nice 140" typical :) Saw a couple bigger than him but he was the dumbest and therefore the closest haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast