Quantcast
Eating deer heart/liver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eating deer heart/liver

After reading the thread about how long it takes to clean your deer it seems that many folks don't gut their deer anymore which leaves the heart and liver off the menu.. Thats usually the first parts to hit the skillet for me, so I was wondering if anybody else eats the heart and liver from their deer??

fullcredit is online now Super Moderator
    2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
    2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
    2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
    2013-14 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

Eating deer heart/liver

The heart is one of my favorite parts. Will probably have one for supper tonight.

Eating deer heart/liver

Never have but I'm up for it. How do you cook it? Fried?

I always shoot them right thru the heart, so don't ever get to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdrake19 View Post
    Never have but I'm up for it. How do you cook it? Fried?
    I like the liver fried with onions and peppers.. The heart can be cut in strips and fried or grilled..

I haven't tried the liver but have some in the freezer along with kidneys too. The heart is mine and my sons favorite part seasoned with a little cavenders and fried in a little bacon grease.

I don't eat any of the guts.

I had a duck hunting buddy who always wanted me to save the duck hearts, gizards and livers. I'd carry 'em to him in a ziploc bag and say, here's your guts!

I had heart and tenderloins last night for supper. To prepare a heart slice all the fat off the outside. then slice the heart horizontally starting at the bottom in 3/8" slices then trim off the hard white parts and inside the chambers near the top there are white filaments that I cut out.. Season it with Tony's creole seasoning, a little onion and garlic powder and some black pepper. Shake it up good in a ziplock bag to coat with the seasonings, then pour in a little flour and shake it again to coat it all good then fry in bacon fat at about medium heat. I like to cook it until the flour on the outside is golden brown color. It and the tenderloins last night was a feast fit for a King.

Quote Originally Posted by tmeredith View Post
    I don't eat any of the guts.
    x2

BDW is online now Premium Member
    2011 Turkey Contest Winner
    2013 Turkey Contest Winner

Eating deer heart/liver

Not me.

what does the liver do in an animals body ?

can anybody answer that ?

I hate the taste of liver. I finally found some ways to eat duck so it doesn't have such a strong gamey taste.

I remember watching Andrew Zimmerman eat a beating heart from a rabbit I believe. That just about made me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthycat View Post
    what does the liver do in an animals body ?

can anybody answer that ?
    It's a filter but the liver has many functions.

Since I don't gut my deer I don't eat the heart or liver.

I used to know a guy that ate the lungs. he fried them in butter. I told him I wasn't that hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chitlin View Post
    I used to know a guy that ate the lungs. he fried them in butter. I told him I wasn't that hungry.

Ive thought about trying the liver before but havent so far.

Eating the heart has never entered my mind.

shiftymcfive01 is offline Super Member
    2011 Turkey Contest Winner
    2013 Turkey Contest Winner

Eating deer heart/liver

how bout the cods

Quote Originally Posted by shiftymcfive01 View Post
    how bout the cods
    Native americans and sustenance hunters would have eaten the tongue, liver, heart, neck meat, testicles, ribs, and marrow from the bones.

We're clearly overfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerquack2K View Post
    Native americans and sustenance hunters would have eaten the tongue, liver, heart, neck meat, testicles, ribs, and marrow from the bones.

We're clearly overfed.
    You can add my Grandad and Dad to that list as well.. My Grandad and Dad would have the brains mixed with eggs from any animal we killed.. We didn't eat the ribs or bone marrow but saved them for the dogs.. They didn't waste anything.. Growing up during the Great Depression would do that to you I suppose..

Quote Originally Posted by Polywog View Post
    You can add my Grandad and Dad to that list as well.. My Grandad and Dad would have the brains mixed with eggs from any animal we killed.. We didn't eat the ribs or bone marrow but saved them for the dogs.. They didn't waste anything.. Growing up during the Great Depression would do that to you I suppose..
    Back then the brains were standard fare.

With CWD and mad cow it is probably prudent to feed those to the dogs.

Eating deer heart/liver

Never had the liver, but heart is pretty dang good if fried up right.

I don't like liver much but deer liver is better than beef liver My dad always kept it. It is a family tradition at my house to eat the heart and tenderloins fresh. For those of you that haven't tried heart I have cooked it at times at deer camps and no person that tried it said they didn't like it. Most of the time once they started eating it I had to guard a couple of pieces so it wouldn't be all gone before I ate. I have also kept the kidneys to go in a deer stew. They were called for in a recipe I wanted to try and I will probably eat them again. I don't do testicles though a fellow has to draw the line somewhere. But heart is as good as any of the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger5873 View Post
    Never had the liver, but heart is pretty dang good if fried up right.
    I'm the opposite. I've had the liver but never the heart but you can bet I'm going to try it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck-Ridge View Post
    I don't like liver much but deer liver is better than beef liver My dad always kept it. It is a family tradition at my house to eat the heart and tenderloins fresh. For those of you that haven't tried heart I have cooked it at times at deer camps and no person that tried it said they didn't like it. Most of the time once they started eating it I had to guard a couple of pieces so it wouldn't be all gone before I ate. I have also kept the kidneys to go in a deer stew. They were called for in a recipe I wanted to try and I will probably eat them again. I don't do testicles though a fellow has to draw the line somewhere. But heart is as good as any of the deer.
    Yes sir if we're camped out someone had better be getting a skillet with some bacon grease hot while I clean up.. I can eat fresh fried heart by itself just like chicken livers/gizzards..

10pointman is offline Waterfowl forum Sheriff
    2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
    2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Winnerr
    2013-14 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
    Throw that in the gutpile!

heart yes
    liver no

I dont eat any filters but would be up to try some heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Polywog View Post
    I ate a bunch of brains and eggs when I was growing up. Not because I wanted to, but because my dad who was raised up in the 30's ate it when he was a kid and I guess he never realized he didn't have to anymore! He used to tell me about hog butchering time and the first thing they'd eat were the liver and lights! He eats all kinds of crazy stuff, like polk salad and eggs, pickled pigs feat, and beans with some big ole kinda bone in it! We left our year old son with my mom and dad while we went out once and when we got back he was sitting in the recliner with my dad chompin' on a big ole pigs foot! I thought my wife was going to puke!!

Quote Originally Posted by tmeredith View Post
    I ate a bunch of brains and eggs when I was growing up. Not because I wanted to, but because my dad who was raised up in the 30's ate it when he was a kid and I guess he never realized he didn't have to anymore! He used to tell me about hog butchering time and the first thing they'd eat were the liver and lights! He eats all kinds of crazy stuff, like polk salad and eggs, pickled pigs feat, and beans with some big ole kinda bone in it! We left our year old son with my mom and dad while we went out once and when we got back he was sitting in the recliner with my dad chompin' on a big ole pigs foot! I thought my wife was going to puke!!
    Your Dad knows how to eat.. Yep they always ate the stuff that would spoil the quickest (usually stuff from inside the body cavity) first.. I've had my share of hog maw sammiches and lunch meat my Grandmaw made called hog squeal (you didn't even want to know what was in it, just add lots of onion and mustard).. I'm here to testify it won't kill you..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast