drought and tree danger this year

i own about 2300 acres and have never seen huge trees just split in half and part or all of a tree fall. Huge limbs that appear alive are falling. I hope I'm wrong but if this is occurring everywhere in the state, with water on some of these weakened trees, somebody is going to get hurt this year. It didn't seem to hit the small to medium trees but the large to huge ones. anybody else noticing this. heavy wind, bad trees and wet roots might make for some dangerous situations this winter. That is if we get any water to flood anything. I am on the white river and its as low as I have ever seen. All the small lakes and oxbows are almost dry.

The bright side is it will create some new holes!

Down here in SW AR the hypoxilon canker has killed a lot of southern red and shumard oaks. I have ladder stands in three different trees that have died and need to be moved. Twice in the last three weeks while I was out walking in the woods there have been large dead limbs fall within 50 feet of me. Lots of dead limbs down in the woods creating obstacles to walk around. Trees are still dying.

I have a deer stand in the saline river bottoms and I had to cut two trees out of the path going to it and then cut three trees out of my shooting lanes when I got to the stand and thinking back on it now they were all large trees.

Log your land or mother nature will do the thinning her way..... what you see is mother nature doing her thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerquack2K View Post
    Log your land or mother nature will do the thinning her way..... what you see is mother nature doing her thing.
    Hypoxilon canker gets them thinned or not. I have thinned land and not thinned land and I believe mortality was higher in the area not thinned. I believe the areas where the trees were not thinned provided more shade and humidity, preventing the ground from drying out as bad. I am just guessing, but pretty much every red oak in the thinned area has it and maybe 30 to 40 percent in the non thinned areas. It is not finished either - still a lot of trees showing small cankers that will eventually die.

Hurricane is havin it happen bad ,here's my theory when these trees were young the water content in the ground was abundant . With the past droughts the ground has bern emptied and then the floods wash soil from around them exposing them to drought danger and then the ground dries and their roots are shallow so heavy wind can blow them over .

Quote Originally Posted by SwampCat View Post
    Hypoxilon canker gets them thinned or not. I have thinned land and not thinned land and I believe mortality was higher in the area not thinned. I believe the areas where the trees were not thinned provided more shade and humidity, preventing the ground from drying out as bad. I am just guessing, but pretty much every red oak in the thinned area has it and maybe 30 to 40 percent in the non thinned areas. It is not finished either - still a lot of trees showing small cankers that will eventually die.

That is not a problem here...... but we didn't haven't had the droughts you have either.