Gut Shot Meat Question

Gut Shot Meat Question

I rencently put a bad shot on a doe and ended up hitting the gut. This was my first deer I cleaned on my own. In other words I didnt have much of a clue as to what i was doing and got stomach junk all over during the deer while cleaning it. Is my meat still good? I washed it off the best I could. The smell seems to be gone as well. I wated to make some burger, fry up some and a bit a jerky for the rest. Any help would be great!!

I'm sure it'll be fine. Especially if it was a fast recovery.

I almost always gut my deer in the woods so that when it's time to hang'm up and skin'm, I don't have to worry about guts and gut matter getting on any meat.

John Stiles is online now Ultimate Member
    2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
    Best thing on a gutshot deer is either to do like tkcamp and remove the guts first, then with a garden hose flush the body cavity as claen as you can....then after dripping dry, skin it carefully, so as not to contaminate those parts you want to keep. Generally when someone brings a deer to me to skin and dress out, that's the first thing I notice. I will not open the body cavity at all in a gutshot deer, but rather skin down the back area to the shoulders, remove the shoulders, the backstrap, and dislocate both hams at the hip sockets letting the rest fall unto a wheel barrow.

that's right John. we've skinned deer plenty of times w/out ever gutting it. Occassionally we do have someone that'll put one in/thru the stomach and when that happens, we NEVER, EVER fool w/ the guts. We hang our deer head down and work the hide all the way down to the neck.. remove the front shoulders, back strap and as much meat off the neck as possible. Then we'll bone out the hind quarters leaving the pelvis/hip attached to the spine. With gut shot deer, we don't even get in to get the inside tenderloin. we throw away the entire body cavity containing the guts.

man, I cant believe you guys waste those tenderloins.

I hang em upside down and do what you guys described, but I just barely open the abdomen near the groin just enough that the guys sag out and you can reach in and get em. you dont have to mess with the guts.

I almost never gut a deer before skinning it but I also hunt close to the house. After hanging the deer stuff any holes with old rags,paper towels etc. When you skin past the hole the rags keep anything bad from running down on the shoulders. I even do it on lung shots to keep the excess blood off.

e coli is a naturally occuring bacteria in the intestines of deer cow pig. if a certain deer has it and is gut shot you can't wash it off. it can be killed by being cooked meat temp to 150 or higher. jerkey making will not reach 150

Quote Originally Posted by dkhern View Post
    e coli is a naturally occuring bacteria in the intestines of deer cow pig. if a certain deer has it and is gut shot you can't wash it off. it can be killed by being cooked meat temp to 150 or higher. jerkey making will not reach 150
    True, but the salt cure will take care of it. Bacteria can't survive in salt. Also, keep in mind that the inside of your meat never sees the light of day until you cut into it, and once you cut it you chance exposing it to bacteria and other contaminants. That's why you can cook a steak rare and it still be safe to eat, but burgers should be cooked to well done.

In theory bacteria cant survive salt but e coli can.

E. coli is a bacterium, so washing your hands thoroughly with anti-bacterial soap after using the restroom, handling raw meat, or doing any other activity that could put you in contact with contaminated materials is essential to kill any E. coli you may have touched. To kill E. coli in your food, make sure you cook all meat thoroughly. Meat should be cooked to 160 degrees Fahrenheit/70 degrees Celsius.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1538705/ read this link.

We don't gut our deer most the time, unless it's good and cold to hang outside. And we don't leave the tenderloins. You can cut infront of the hams and let the guts drop down, take either your hand (young deer) or small pocket knife and cut them dudes out.
    In the book, it has that area highlighted, as to be kept. Leaving it is wanton waste, a fine if they wanna.

I always take the inside tenderloin, unless there's a bad exit (thru the guts). Now if that has happened, and I've allowed the deer time to expire (2-4 hours), I'm not getting anything from inside the body cavity. Outside of that scenario, I take everything, including the flanks that cover the ribs.