White river NWR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White river NWR

White river NWR

What's the acorn/ persimmon situation look like down there? The acorns are absent where I hunt in central AR. We are heading down for the weekend and I was curious what the mast looks like down there..Particularly around the Kansas lake area. Any help would be appreciated!

Don't know about that area, but the area i hunt they are loaded. Shouldn't have a problem finding any.

I was hunting near Dumas last weekend and the crop was excellent. Which, on the refuge, usually isn't a good thing for patterning deer because there is food everywhere.

White river NWR

Was in the south unit last weekend and you couldn't walk anywhere without stepping on acorns. Only saw 1 persimmon tree with anything on it

White river NWR

Thanks!

I was in the Kansas Lake area last weekend. There are acorns everywhere. Even with the cooler temps the deer weren't having to move very far. There were quite a few people in there too. I saw 4 doe Sunday morning and 1 decent buck, but that was it. I wasn't able to get a shot on any of them. There are still a lot of leaves on the trees.

Have you hunted that area before?

White river NWR

Yessir! We have a friend that has a cabin close to st Charles, so we hunt both units quite a lot.

White river NWR

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349996105.456516.jpg. Killed this one last year on the south side.

White river NWR

Pretty nice one. I grew up down there. We have a place on Maddox Bay still, not far from the entrance to KL. That is where I hunted as a kid and go back every time I get a chance.

Good luck to ya. If you see a white dodge with a Suk-O-Buck decal in the back window, say hello to my Pop. He is there every weekend

I've never been there but I'm planning on going one day next week and looking around. I got a cousin that lives pretty close to there but I don't think the warden would let him out to go with me.

White river NWR

Haha.I know a couple guys who have places over there actually:) I will certainly say hello!

White river NWR

Big Jim- did you get a muzzleloader permit for The North unit? My older brother and his family drew, but the rest weren't as lucky.

I asked the regional office if we can now hunt during the muzzleloader permit hunt. In the past you couldn't, but this year you can now hunt during the gun hunt. Not sure about the muzzleloader though.

Quote Originally Posted by ar_lawngod View Post
    Big Jim- did you get a muzzleloader permit for The North unit? My older brother and his family drew, but the rest weren't as lucky.

I asked the regional office if we can now hunt during the muzzleloader permit hunt. In the past you couldn't, but this year you can now hunt during the gun hunt. Not sure about the muzzleloader though.
    No I didn't get one. I have some friends that bow hunt there in November when it's gun season here in zone 11. Also I have a couple of cousins that bow hunt in october every year down there. They have killed some nice ones and tell me about seeing some dandy's. I'm probably going to talk to them before I go so I can kinda get an Idea of where to look.

White river NWR

They are so really good deer there. I saw a probably 120-130 on Sunday. Not huge, but he would have made me happy.

White river NWR

Drew a muzzleloader permit last 2 years and didn't kill anything last year. Saw a bunch of does and a few small bucks. Hope this year is much better. Leaving early Thursday morning to head down. Gonna bow hunt a day and a half the muzzleload for 3.

White river NWR

Mmcginty19- Good luck to ya. Seems a little hit and miss, but the deer are always there. They are just real skittish. Once the 4 wheeler start running the roads they are ever watchful and adapt quickly.

Deerslayer- I would imagine we know some of the same people. Not that many that live there year around.

White river NWR

Mcginty- good luck! Lawngod- I'm sure we do, im sure iv run into ya before- we are always there and are always social with folks. Good fellowship. Hope everyone has good luck!

I hunt from crocketts bluff area... have to ride thru refuge to access some of our spots.. good deer real skittish good luck..and i sure miss the st charles store that closed down, what a good buffet they had.lol

Quote Originally Posted by ar_lawngod View Post
    Where is the regional office? I thought the permit hunts were only open to people that had a quota permit?

White river NWR

We hunted the east side of the river in the south unit last year. I saw saw 15 deer on the first day and saw a total of 22 deer in the 2 1/2 days that we hunted. Had a few deer less than 20 yards from me and they even saw me but stayed around and fed. We are staying at merrisach this year and hunting that side this year. Somewhere around jacks bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast