Pass Through and No Blood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pass Through and No Blood

My wife shot an 8 pt this evening at 20 yards. Buried arrow up to fletching. Found arrow about 50 yds from shot - it had pulled all the way through from off side. Wife was shooting nocturnals, so got a good view of impact site. Said it was too high - straight above shoulder crease. Dark red blood on arrow - not lung blood. A little red meat and some fat. Not one single drop of blood. I think she hit over top of spine but she said was lower. For those shots that go above lungs, but below spine - what does blood and arrow look like. First deer I have looked for that broadhead went through and could not find a single drop of blood.

You got me. I've never had that happen. There ain't much to hit in that area is there? Was she in a stand? If so, how high up? Sorry this happend to her

From my experience any flesh wound is generally bright red with no bubbles. Any dark blood is normally liver. I know you know this already but it's all I can think of.

She was 17 ft up plus deer was downhill another five feet. Blood reminded me of liver blood but she said definitely not that far back. Blood was already mostly dried on arrow - we waited two hours after the shot. Gonna look some more in the morning but don't have a good feeling.

turkeylurkey is offline Super Member
    2013-14 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
    Can't say for sure, but I have had a couple of experiences with a bow where the arrow pulled some tissue/guts/organs/ into the wound channel and actually plugged it off and couldn't find a lick of blood. The deer died quickly but in the dark with no sign it is hard to find them regardless. Mostly seen this happen on steep down angles and the entry wound was high enough that there wasn't anything come out of it to mention. No way of knowing until you find the deer, but have seen it on 4 or 5 occasions. Will be curious to see if this was the case for you guys......let us know how it pans out.

Remember the spine starts dropping right above the shoulder, this is the area where your bigger backstrap steaks come from. Also veins carrying blood back to the heart and lungs is darker, due to the lack of oxygen.
    I believe it is a muscle hit in the backstrap, just above the spine, also probably deflected the arrow off the spine causing energy loss on the arrow.

I put my dog on one Saturday morning that did the EXACT same thing. Late evening shot and couldn't find arrow, went back Saturday morning. Arrow had pulled completely through 30 yards from shot. Bright red blood on arrow, found 2 tiny specs of meat and not a single drop of blood. Gridded the area out with GPS and dog, no deer. I'd be willing to be my next check it's still alive....ALTHOUGH for whatever strange reason I've seen deer that were shot good not bleed, but they were all laying withing 150 yards too. I can assure you the deer we looked for is not within 450 yards. Since she saw the shot was high I'm gonna say it went in right about the lungs and barely missed the spine. That is one of the only void areas on a deer, it should heal quickly and be back on camera in a few days. I put my dog on 3 different bucks last year that all had the same scenarios and all 3 showed back up within a week. Hopefully she'll get another crack at him...

I think its been soundly proven there is no "void" .... I bet she shot it through the backstraps

Quote Originally Posted by stealthycat View Post
    I think its been soundly proven there is no "void" .... I bet she shot it through the backstraps

I would probably say this is the case SC! The red meat and fat on arrow to me would support that as well!

GF

No luck this morn - and the shower we had during the night did not help. Good pic there Stealthy - my vote is still above the spine - especially since she said she hit it right above the crease. Spine is low in that area and a lot of room above - especially from a sharp downward angle. She has killed several does with her bow but that was her first buck to hit - and first deer to lose. She is sick. Hope she gets back in the saddle.

Good pic Stealthy. My brother shot a healthy buck a few years ago with a broadhead in his backstrap.

I have hit deer high that did not bleed until right before they fell though.
    I heard one buck in particular crash. The arrow passed through, but I never could find it since I was practically on the ground. I could not find blood, and I looked there for 15min at least. I went straight to where I heard the crash, and the buck was laying there dead. I backtracked the blood trail about 10yds, but he just didnt bleed until then. When he started though... it was all over. He must have bled internally.

Quote Originally Posted by Gford View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthycat View Post

I would probably say this is the case SC! The red meat and fat on arrow to me would support that as well!

GF
    I would agree. I did the same thing two years ago. The deer showed back up on camera a couple of weeks later. There is a little more back strap up there than I realized at the time.

I've seen well shot deer with an arrow, a muzzleloader, and a rifle not bleed a drop till they fall. Some times it looks like a red carpet in the woods with blood everywhere and sometimes nothing.

another thing too ... the spine has those blades/bones sticking UP from it as well as the ribs coming off ...... that's the loud "whack" you hear when you shoot high, that also sound like a direct shoulder hit ....

too often where we think the arrow hits, and where it actually DOES hit are two very different things

Bowcrazy is offline Grand Member
    2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner
    2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
    I agree sounds like above te spine to me also. You will see her again is my bet

deer is still alive. That's my bet.

I did taxidermy for several years. You wouldn't believe how many bucks I skinned out had battle scars from previous shots.

My wife did the same shot exactly last year, same everything. No deer he still running.

same thing happened to my uncle last year their is a pocket of joint fluid that lies below the spine thats kind of sticky but it won't bleed...the deer lived until late modern gun when my cousin put em down

I've watched some episodes at midwestwhitetail.com. Bill Winke has shot at least two bucks high behind the shoulder and failed to get them. However, the good news is that several weeks later he got trail cam pictures of these bucks and they survived. Maybe she can get redemption later in the season.

Had a buddy shoot one while we hunting in NEA going to school and he center punched a doe and heard her fall. He text me and I got down and went over to his tree to help trail her. I picked up his bloody arrow an started looking for blood and there wasn't any. We looked and looked for blood and didn't find any. He said well I know she is right over here and sure enough she was 40 yards away piled up. Still don't know how she didn't bleed any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast