What to do with aluminum cans????? Help me out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What to do with aluminum cans????? Help me out.

Alright, so my wife and I are pretty much professional beer drinkers, and I was contemplating getting a little can crusher, and attaching it out back of the house by our patio. However, is it really worth collecting the cans to cash them in for money? How many cans make a pound? How much can I get for a pound? etc etc. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Gibson View Post
    Alright, so my wife and I are pretty much professional beer drinkers, and I was contemplating getting a little can crusher, and attaching it out back of the house by our patio. However, is it really worth collecting the cans to cash them in for money? How many cans make a pound? How much can I get for a pound? etc etc. Thanks.
    The way I see it is every time you throw a can in the trash your throwing away money...even if it is only 1 cent... If you have enough you might get enough to swing by McDonalds on the way home...

Just throw them in the trash. you would be better off mowing a neighbors grass for $40 in one hour then wasting your time with cans. You will have to rinse everyone out and then you will still get ants.

Of course, I hate all recycling and refuse to do it so I might be a little biased. I throw everything away.

It's been a while but it seems like I remember being around 20 cans per pound. I throw all of mine in an out of the way box and when it gets full I take them to the recycler. I usually have some scrap brass to go with it so I cash my scrap in. Last time I sold I got $165 for scrap metal that I had laying around.

Professional beer drinker myself also, save mine along with soda cans, not that much of a problem, very seldom get ants in them, put mine in a 55 gallon plastic drum with a plastic liner bag and I believe the last time I sold them got around 60 cents a lb for them

Saving cans is like putting all your change in a jar and cashing it in once a year. It will surprise you just how much money you throw away in a year. You could save enough money in a reasonable amount of time to buy a little pony keg cooler and then you wouldn't have any waste at all and you could just lay back and count the savings with a fresh draft in your hand while doing it.

And just FYI, America throws away enough aluminum each year to rebuild it's entire commercial air fleet.

I pick them up at work and pick them up on roadsides. There is not enough money in them to go out of your way but I keep the roadsides around the house picked up. I put them behind my shop at the house so I don't attract ants. Periodically I load them up and take them to cash in. I use the money to help with hunting and fishing habits. Even if it's a $20.00 bill it is free money.

I'm on the pro level myslelf!! I crush and keep all mine in a few 55 gallon drums out behind the shop. When I get enough they start getting in the way I take them in to the recycle joint. Then I just swing my the beer store on my way home and start all over again!!

Another pro here, but I don't drink beer out of cans. Good beer comes in bottles. My trash gets rather heavy and tends to clank a bit...........

Quote Originally Posted by buckhorn View Post
    I pick them up at work and pick them up on roadsides. There is not enough money in them to go out of your way but I keep the roadsides around the house picked up. I put them behind my shop at the house so I don't attract ants. Periodically I load them up and take them to cash in. I use the money to help with hunting and fishing habits. Even if it's a $20.00 bill it is free money.
    We have different opinions of free money

Ok, I just called the local scrap yard, and the lady said they didn't have to be dried or washed out, and that I could get 52 cents a pound for them. It's on....better start drankin...

GotPork is offline Select Member
    Forum Sponsor
    The Naked Retreiver
    I have a trash can at work that everyone throws em in for me and after i get several BIG bags I dump them out in the driveway and drive the truck back and forth over em......then get my big flat snow shovel and dump em back into trash cans. My aunt was gonna save them at the post office where she worked a few years ago and they wouldn't let her. That would be giving an employee and unfair extra amount of money!! OUR goverment at work!!!!!

I save them in garbage bags. Every once in a while if I am going close to the recycle place I load my youngest ...I used to take them all but as they grew and left home it just became one. And have her tote them to the folks and help make the transaction. The money goes to her.....used to be them...but just her now. If it's only 5 bucks she is happy and I got rid of them. Yeah it may not really be worth it but I only do it when I headed that way and she can go....sometimes she even offers to buy me lunch....

if i load the back of my truck up with bags and take it to sell i usually get a little less than 100. who cares if they get ants in them, just sell 'em in the winter when the ants are gone

Any metal is worth money. If you take some you'll be surprised what they pay for what looks like junk and trash.

I save every can I can find! Def worth it for me to do. Once a yr i cash them and anything else i have come across in and throw it towards gas money come deer season.
    And i have never had a problem with ants or anything else

I crush them and put them in empty 30 pack boxes. I want to say a box holds roughly 3#. As far as the can crusher, I enjoy crushing them with my boot!

Manybeards is offline Premium Member
    2009 Turkey Contest Winner
    2010 Turkey Contest Winner
    2011 Turkey Contest Winner
    2012 Turkey Contest Winner
    2013 Turkey Contest Winner
    Dang LT if we only had started that back when we were kids. We could have bought a lot of good things by now with the money made.

Price of aluminum & other scrap changes as often as every day. I save them till the price is higher then go cash in. I have gotten as high. 65 for cans.

I live about a mile down the road from a scap metal place. I say cans. and clean up around the homestead. cans lately .55-65 cents a #. I was amazed at brass a while back. I took in some scrap, 4 bags of cans, and a about a 3-4 inches in a five gallon bucket of brass plumbing parts and got over $120.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast