Most Consistent Hog Dog?

Most Consistent Hog Dog?

Who has the most consistent hog dog and what breed?

My buddy has two that will flat find a hog. The male will be 2 miles deep real fast on a hog if he needs to. Catahoula plott bmc mix

i know the dog, kwack is talking about and my plotts get deep when they need to, i used to run cat dogs but know it s plott all the way. i have some gooduns, but i will not say the most consistent. i had a freind that had a dog named sue and he sold her to another freind, and sue was a hog dog. i also have a freind that hunts parker curs and they are some good dogs also.

i just saw who started this thread, old rooster is prety good from what i hear.

Going by what I see most people have is Catahoula I hear Parker curs are real consitant. I have been looking a long time for a good strait dog thats long range and consitant .

I know of a dog named ruby and another named copper that mr.dennis young owns that are flat hogdogs,i know fella named shane morris(hampman)that owns ol sue and some fine parker dogs that are hogfindin machines and another thing about them parkers is i truly beleive they are born deer proof and i promise you ol sue is one of a kind,we went the other day and he put three dogs down and in about three minutes we had dogs bayed ovber a mile from us in three different directions and caught nine hogs before we put our hands on any of them ,know thats hogdogs in my opinion,i know a fella named paul lamkin that has a little gyp named lacy that is as good as any dog anywhere and will flat get gone and find the swine and theres another ol fella down there named wayne ezzel (whiteoak) that has a blackmouth named dusty that is the realdeal and fellas these boys hunt together a whole bunch and when they go and take all these dogs that im referrin to the hogs are in trouble and you are in for a long day i promise.And thats not all that they have they all got young dogs that they are huntin and lots of times dont even carry the older dogs and catch 4 or 5 everytime they go,they are realdeal hogdoggers in my opinion,not many around likem i promise you.

Nighthawk i would get ahold of one of the guys im talkin about and i bet they can point you in the right direction.Shane has a yard full of parker curs but he is very stingy with them if you know what i mean.But i bet one of them can point you toward a good dog,but in my opinion if you are wantin a dog that will get deep in your trackin box a catahoula is not what you want.JMO

Anybody know anyone who raises parker curs regularly?

Yeah larry parker and the only person in arkansas that i know of that even has any is shane morris,im sure there are some more but i dont know about them if there is.Shane has nine of them and has some pups on the ground right know that are 6 months old and bayin there butts off and 5 more that are just 6 weeks old.

hey reddman, i have know shane and his family for 5 or 6 years, and he does have some dandys, i hunted with sue when shawn had her, shane and i had talked about crossing one of plotts with one of his dogs. i dont remember which one now, but i know it was not sue. we are going to hook up oneday and run the plotts, but i dont hunt in the heat like this, dont like snakes lol.

Rooster is a sh$teater that wouldn't find a hog if one fell out of a tree on top of him!!

I have had BMC, Mountain curs, Cats, red ticks, walkers, plotts even a jack russell, I believe that you have to have a mix blooded dog that has parents that have hog in there blood.

I met Shane on the Parker cur board he has invited me to come up and make a loop with him and I plan on it gonna touch base with him again soon I keep getting side tracked I had a half Parker gyp I was talking to him about breeding to his dog but she got killed soon after. I got a little Black mouth hound mix she has been doing ok I raised her from a pup she stays busy gets hog now and then. My biggest problem is I work a month and home a month hard to keep a dog in tune or train a pup. If any of you guys are on the Parker board im Jason Dunn. I want to hunt with some full Parkers and some Plotts in the future.

i am on the board and i am horjua, invite for this fall

Sounds good you ever make it down to Oval Roberts to hunt he ran dogs with my Great Grandpaw I sat and talked dog with him for about 2 hours last year I hope to get down to hunt with him again before he gives it up we got famiy land down the road from him good hogs down there.

Nighthawk I ran into a man while hunting a few weekends ago named Dunn. I was hunting a little south of Hamption. If you know the man I'm talking about you should check with him. The way he explained it to me was he invented hog hunting. The man wonted me to understand the hogs in that area were his. So the way I see it is if he put all the hogs in that part of the country he must have some jam up dogs!!

@ redman,
    I agree ruby is diffently ounce in a live time dog!!! Youngs gettin old he needs to retire and give her to me LOL!!! I would be to scared of loosing her knownin my luck!

[QUOTE=hog catcher;1521885]Nighthawk I ran into a man while hunting a few weekends ago named Dunn. I was hunting a little south of Hamption. If you know the man I'm talking about you should check with him. The way he explained it to me was he invented hog hunting. The man wonted me to understand the hogs in that area were his. So the way I see it is if he put all the hogs in that part of the country he must have some jam up dogs!![/QUOT

I dont know any Dunn in Arkansas but me and my bunch I am from Louisiana originally I got alot of kin in Grayson La if you hog hunting down there and run into a Dunn were kin but not up here. I can say hunting hogs in Arkansas has been alot more difficult for me not near as many hogs where I am vs Buckoo swam in Louisiana. I had and old BMC gyp that was short ranged rough I caught my share of hogs with her down there brought her up here and she wasnt much use so if you got hogs running out your ears most any gamey dog will look good take them to where the hogs are few and far between if you pull pork you got something.
    hog catcher why was you messing with that mans hogs ?
    Last edited by Nighthawk; 05-11-2012 at 06:31 AM.

night hawk i talk to orval at least 3 times a week, i have 8 dogs from him, and 2 pups on the way. i am going to grayson next weekend to visit him. i have his blood, heat, pochahantas cascade weems, and bayou cajun blood.

I raised some mtn curs for quite a while that could hunt with the very best and not look bad...they were texas smoke bred with some gold nugget kemmer bred in...sold out in 2007 but am breeding a few again...have a few mtn curs and a mtn cur bred to a parker cur right now...should drop her pups in a week...been trying to get a pup out of that Dude dog that is doing a lot of winning...

Texas Smoke was a heck of a hunting dog...I started out with a 3/4 texas smoke female and then inbred and line bred off of her...I strictly hog hunt with these type of dogs...if a hog was in the woods it would be found and it would be brought to bay even if it took 4 or 5 hours...but usually within 15 to 30 minutes on the runners...

Some folks say a squirrel dog or coon dog won't make a hog dog but I have seen some that can shame a hog dog once they have been trained on hogs...Like an old friend once told me...a hunting dog is a hunting dog...if a good sized and leggy cur gets excited about a squirrel and can sniff one out just think about how crazy he will go over a hog...but the dog must come from a line of dogs that will go as far as it is needed to find a squirrel...a mtn cur that has the tools and can find, trail, and kill a coon will make a hog dog...but semi silent to silent is best...and it helps if the dog is a fast hunter that drifts on a track to find the hot end...and then moves it at a fast pace...and not give it up...even in the thick briars...